How ridiculous is gen chem on real dat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yomikepump

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean do i really have to write out all the freakin equations and memorize them? and even those ridiculous electrochemistry equations? How did everyone that did well on gen chem prepare for this section with regard to calculations?

Members don't see this ad.

i thought the G. Chem was gonna be the toughest section for me as well. I was so worried about having to use all these equations and have long calculations. In the end it was the science section i did the best in. I studied real hard for it and just practiced from kaplan/topscore/destroyer. The G chem on the exam is very straightforward. Hardly any calculations, and the ones that they gave were all set up for me. This does vary by test though, so study hard, practice a lot, and know the equations in the kaplan book. You need nothing more.

like the above person said, the questions are straightforward. It's challenging in the sense that you have to understand all the concepts that are covered by the DAT. it is not detailed or difficult. for example, if there was a problem about the rate law, you wont see any 6th order but u will see 1st or 2nd order most likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to remind people that every test IS different... I went into mine last September thinking I'd have no calculations... my test had about 75% calculations and I was completely unprepared (retaking in a few weeks.) I hope my next test has more "concepts" like everyone is saying they had... but definitely be prepared for anything! :)

I agree. You don't want to be caught off guard. :( My DAT was all conceptual. I don't think I got more than 3 calculations on mine.