1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

How ridiculous is gen chem on real dat?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by yomikepump, May 27, 2008.

1. yomikepump

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I mean do i really have to write out all the freakin equations and memorize them? and even those ridiculous electrochemistry equations? How did everyone that did well on gen chem prepare for this section with regard to calculations?

2. Shunwei

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I recommend comprehension and not memorization.

3. musl85

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i thought the G. Chem was gonna be the toughest section for me as well. I was so worried about having to use all these equations and have long calculations. In the end it was the science section i did the best in. I studied real hard for it and just practiced from kaplan/topscore/destroyer. The G chem on the exam is very straightforward. Hardly any calculations, and the ones that they gave were all set up for me. This does vary by test though, so study hard, practice a lot, and know the equations in the kaplan book. You need nothing more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    like the above person said, the questions are straightforward. It's challenging in the sense that you have to understand all the concepts that are covered by the DAT. it is not detailed or difficult. for example, if there was a problem about the rate law, you wont see any 6th order but u will see 1st or 2nd order most likely.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. uesider

uesider Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Just want to remind people that every test IS different... I went into mine last September thinking I'd have no calculations... my test had about 75% calculations and I was completely unprepared (retaking in a few weeks.) I hope my next test has more "concepts" like everyone is saying they had... but definitely be prepared for anything! :)

6. luaxel

Pre-Dental
    I agree. You don't want to be caught off guard. :( My DAT was all conceptual. I don't think I got more than 3 calculations on mine.