how ridiculous is this? Whats next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMike24

eat, drink, and be merry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woman Offended by Doctor's Obesity Advice
'I Told a Fat Woman She Was Obese'

ROCHESTER, N.H. (Aug. 24) - As doctors warn more patients that they should lose weight, the advice has backfired on one doctor with a woman filing a complaint with the state saying he was hurtful, not helpful.

Dr. Terry Bennett says he tells obese patients their weight is bad for their health and their love lives, but the lecture drove one patient to complain to the state.

"I told a fat woman she was obese," Bennett says. "I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.' "

He says he wrote a letter of apology to the woman when he found out she was offended.

Her complaint, filed about a year ago, was initially investigated by a board subcommittee, which recommended that Bennett be sent a confidential letter of concern. The board rejected the suggestion in December and asked the attorney general's office to investigate.

Bennett rejected that office's proposal that he attend a medical education course and acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Bruce Friedman, chairman of the board of medicine, said he could not discuss specific complaints. Assistant Attorney General Catherine Bernhard, who conducted the investigation, also would not comment, citing state law that complaints are confidential until the board takes disciplinary action.

The board's Web site says disciplinary sanctions may range from a reprimand to the revocation of all rights to practice in the state.

"Physicians have to be professional with patients and remember everyone is an individual. You should not be inflammatory or degrading to anyone," said board member Kevin Costin.

Other overweight patients have come to Bennett's defense.

"What really makes me angry is he told the truth," Mindy Haney told WMUR-TV on Tuesday. "How can you punish somebody for that?"

Haney said Bennett has helped her lose more than 150 pounds, but acknowledged that she initially didn't want to listen.

"I have been in this lady's shoes. I've been angry and left his practice. I mean, in-my-car-taking-off angry," Haney said. "But once you think about it, you're angry at yourself, not Doctor Bennett. He's the messenger. He's telling you what you already know."

Members don't see this ad.

This was posted earlier and moved, for some obscure reason, to the lounge. I certainly hope this time it stays here. It's definitely relevant.

Anyway what I said on the other thread was that we don't know exactly how the doctor phrased what he said. He could have said it in a completely offensive way. OTOH, doctors NEED to be telling patients that they are fat and need to lose weight. If more doctors got involved in helping people lose weight, and in emphasizing the health risks of being obese, America would be a healthier place.

tigress said:
This was posted earlier and moved, for some obscure reason, to the lounge. I certainly hope this time it stays here. It's definitely relevant.

Anyway what I said on the other thread was that we don't know exactly how the doctor phrased what he said. He could have said it in a completely offensive way. OTOH, doctors NEED to be telling patients that they are fat and need to lose weight. If more doctors got involved in helping people lose weight, and in emphasizing the health risks of being obese, America would be a healthier place.

I was wondering why there was nothing about this...i guess i should have searched the lounge....but ya i was also wondering about how he phrased it. however, i think we're at a point where we need to be blunt and get these peoples attention...they WILL suffer from their obesity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ridiculous. Obesity is an epidemic in this country. The doc is telling it like it is, like any doc should. The problem lies with the obese women, not the doctor.

Regardless, no one should call anybody fat. S/he could contract ACTIPOD at any moment.

For someone who is dying of curiosity:
ACTIPOD = Acute Disseminated Traumatic Inflammatory Pseudo Obesity Disorder.
The disease is characterized by black and blue swellings scattered all over the body and extremities. It is ubiquitous everywhere in the real world.

Telling someone they are fat: wrong.
Doctor telling someone they are obese: right.
Obesity is a medical problem and it is to the patients benefit that the doctor address the issues associated.

I saw the doctor be interviewed this morning on the Today show - can't say why, but he was pretty irate about it, making all kinds of accusations about this woman. And I couldn't help but think maybe this is why they stress to us premeds the importance of being "altruistic" and putting the patient first - because for one, our job dependency depends on trust, and two, this is about caring for people.

Now none of us can know how sensitive or insensitive he was, and there is truth that being overweight is a major health risk. There's nothing wrong with being blunt, and maybe she was channeling her own self-image rejection onto him, or maybe he was a class A Jerk. But what this shows us more and more is what's expected of physicians - to be servants and not holier than the patients we treat.

I was shadowing a buddy of mine, who's a family practice doc, and we saw a 20 year old girl who was 230 lbs and quite short.

It's a VERY sensitive subject, especially with a younger women, given the sometimes inherent sensitivity of such things at that age.

BUT, I was actually disappointed that my buddy did not even bring it up. Granted she was there for strep throat, but as docs, we'll need to be educators and advocates and that's not always easy. But, it is appropriate coming from a doctor. I see nothing wrong with saying, kindly, "hey, you know what I'm gonna say, right?" "Yeah, you really should try to lose some weight. It'll help you......... and keep you from getting............"
"Can I offer you some options?"

That kind of thing. But it IS necessary given the level of diabetese and heart disease in this country.

Seems like elementary school where you can't give out grades to kids anymore because they might be offended by somebody who got a better grade. Or where you have to give a star to everybody otherwise the kid that didn't get one will run home and cry and the teacher will be sued.

The truth is harsh but it still is the truth. If he told her she is fat then that might be harsh but still the truth. But he didn't even say that (from what the article says) he just told her she is obese.

Why is it that we have to create more and more bubbles to "protect" people from the truth?

So they dont sue?

Now I in no way agree with the complaint that was filed. Quite frankly, I disagree with 90% of lawsuits filed against docs, but do you all actually believe that a doctor finally telling you that you need to lose weight will make a difference? These people know they are fat, and they can see it in the mirror everyday. In the end it takes them wanting to make the change for the better themselves. As influential as doctors can be, I very much doubt their power in this respect.

Get ready, for this is the world that all of you will get to know intimately...yes, PC has entered medicine and now you have to think...about what you tell the patient/how/how often/or even should you...no more are the days of telling the truth forget it. The doctor could have been offensive but maybe not we really do not know, and many of his patients have come out to defend him (yes, his obese patients). People want nice fuzzy feel good words for everything and sometimes there is just no way of saying nicely that you are obese and need to lose weight to have better health and avoid some serious issues..

I've seen a Dr. approach this topic by saying, "You're fat. I told you! You need to lsoe weight!" and I've seen another say "It would really be good for your health to try to lose atleast 30 lbs. Do your best to work on that." Execution is everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a not-so-fine line between belligerence and constructive criticism. We have no idea if he walked it or crossed it, so please stop pretending to make any valid assertions either way.

Zuras said:
There is a not-so-fine line between belligerence and constructive criticism. We have no idea if he walked it or crossed it, so please stop pretending to make any valid assertions either way.

I think most people who replied recognize that. We don't know the specifics of this case, but in general doctors need to be more willing to discuss obesity with patients (IMO). I see it at the office where I work: most doctors don't even mention to the obese patients that they could probably be healthier if they lost some weight.

doctajay said:
Now I in no way agree with the complaint that was filed. Quite frankly, I disagree with 90% of lawsuits filed against docs, but do you all actually believe that a doctor finally telling you that you need to lose weight will make a difference? These people know they are fat, and they can see it in the mirror everyday. In the end it takes them wanting to make the change for the better themselves. As influential as doctors can be, I very much doubt their power in this respect.

that seems like a rather apathetic mindset for someone who is planning to become a doctor...i mean, if that's the case, then telling people at risk to cut back on the bacon, and telling people at risk for cancer to cut back on the tanning...it's all useless, because they know the risks but they're not going to change. doctors have to tell their patients what they need to know...maybe it won't change everyone, but who is more likely to lose weight, an obese patient who has a doctor that hounds them about it at visits or an obese patient who ignores it?

I know of a couple of doctors who have fired their patients for not following advice for years. Pediatricians fire patients when parents refuse to immunize, ob/gyns fire patients who drink while pregnant, and GPs fire patients who refuse to make an attempt to stay healthy. For some patients, this includes losing weight or working out. I'm not saying they fire patients who are borderline - I'm saying they fire patients who absolutely refuse to help themselves for years despite being told the benefits and risks of their behavior.

The docs are worried about the liability and being sued - in today's litigious society the lawsuit of "I didn't think he really meant it!" usually wins big bucks. It's just too much risk to keep those people as patients.

doctajay said:
Now I in no way agree with the complaint that was filed. Quite frankly, I disagree with 90% of lawsuits filed against docs, but do you all actually believe that a doctor finally telling you that you need to lose weight will make a difference?

That doesn't really matter nowadays. If he wouldn't tell her that she needs to lose weight or she could die then a relative might sue him after she dies and be successful at that.

Medicine is not about caring for the patient anymore it is about covering your ass from lawsuits. The beauty of defensive medicine.
It's sad but I have met many doctors who have to practice this way.

And besides, you would be surprised/shocked how many people just don't know that being fat/smoking/drinking is bad for them.

http://************/a9loa

Hmm. Video interview of the guy. He seems rather shifty IMO. I'm guessing he went over that line.

how is telling a patient they need to lose weight belligerent in the least? people who are fat need to learn to take a doctor's advice. i don't care if you're a young woman or a old man. i will tell you to lose weight if it is hurting you or compromising your health.

ex. a 350lb woman comes in to see my doctor who i work for. she has had chronic problems in her knees and her ankles. she's scheduled for an arthroscopy in a week. for her preop assessment, we find out that she has no ROM because she's so fat, she sits around all day and never moves her leg. we have to postpone surgery to do another surgery to loosen up her knee. my doc said this (exact words): "you're fat. this is hurting you. look at what it has done to your knee indirectly. i know what i say is mean and i don't want to hurt you or your self-esteem. someone has to tell you to lose weight and i am. lose weight and 90% of your health and psychological problems will go away."

i wholeheartedly believe this and will not hesitate to tell my patients this. people need to learn to suck it up and stop whining about every little thing. i hope the woman filing the lawsuit dies of a fat embolism.

jbrice1639 said:
that seems like a rather apathetic mindset for someone who is planning to become a doctor...i mean, if that's the case, then telling people at risk to cut back on the bacon, and telling people at risk for cancer to cut back on the tanning...it's all useless, because they know the risks but they're not going to change. doctors have to tell their patients what they need to know...maybe it won't change everyone, but who is more likely to lose weight, an obese patient who has a doctor that hounds them about it at visits or an obese patient who ignores it?
ok...I'm a Health Promotion and Education major. I am working on a smoking cessation program for patients and the general public at a hospital and have been rallying the docs to refer their patients to the clinic. I'll tell you right now that physicians have a HUGE influence on most patients. 90% of my class has been refered by a physician. People respect docs and their opinions. Yes, it's true that they have the knowledge base already..smoking is bad and everyone knows it, but to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, is powerful. If you have a good relationship with your doc, you're going to listen to what they say. So don't give me this apathetic bull **** saying that docs can't do anything to motivate their patients. Eventually, it has to come from the patient, but external motivation goes a long way as well. :p

yourmom25 said:
how is telling a patient they need to lose weight belligerent in the least?

Hey, you stupid fatass. No one likes fat people like you, so you better lose some weight, miss piggy.

Zuras said:
Hey, you stupid fatass. No one likes fat people like you, so you better lose some weight, miss piggy.

which would you rather suffer: a few blows to your self-esteem or death.

There's a balance to be struck between telling the patient what he needs to hear and conveying that information in a helpful way that will lead the patient to change.

Suppose you scored a 15 on the MCAT, and went to your pre-med advisor for help. Would you like to hear: "Hey, you know what? You're stupid. I'm sorry that you don't want to hear that, but that's the truth. You're never going to be a doctor with scores like that. Go home and study, or you're going to be miserable for the rest of your life."

I didn't think so. You'd want constructive information told to you in a sensitive, helpful manner.

I think that there is a huge difference in telling the honest to God truth w/o any sugarcoating on the *first* visit versus seeing a patient for many visits and realizing that nothing is working a la PC way..and you have to then get down to business. This doc seemed to have offended the patient bc he brought into the picture her looks or whanot..but I think that this was his last "tool" for her to get with the program. It is easy for all of us to say "oh I would never ever be so blunt with any patient" well until we get there we just don't know do we now? after seeing 1000's of obese patients that are slowly killing themselves and some you have seen hundreds of time..the time to play nicey nice may be over with..the best thing is to sub sub specialize and hence you will not have these issues..

efex101 said:
This doc seemed to have offended the patient bc he brought into the picture her looks or whanot..but I think that this was his last "tool" for her to get with the program.

Yes, I'm sure she had no idea that obese women are not generally considered attractive in the west.

Of course she knows just as she knows that she is obese but guess what? when you go see a physician for obese related issues topics that the patients know will be talked about. Smokers seeing docs for emphysema will guess what talk abut the bad outcomes of smoking although yes they know of course. That is part of the physician role to again and again bring up issues that are not warm and fuzzy all over to get patients to change behavior. Some patients do well with honest and blunt interactions and others do not, like the doc is doing now is what he should have done from the getgo, tell them that what they are going to hear is not warm and fuzzy and see if they want to hear it or not,and go from there. I guess when you become a physician you will be one of the most caring and spend hours with patients going over their issues and a very low voice and be super super nice....good for you.

Sorry to butt in but...

Seriously, an intelligent person (good GPA or MCAT) who can discuss incidence or news like this one can get in with minimal decoration. S/he may not need to run any EC marathon to prove the desire at all. It has happened at least once.

Regarding this particular case:
1) It must be the way the poor doctor approached his patient. He knew the science of medicine. But the patient kept him failing again and again. Out of desperation, he became frustrated
2) The benefit of the doubt always goes to all patients including the craziest or the possible malicious ones. Idiots and idiotic patients always share the same privilege.
3) It is more complicated than right or wrong. Adcoms would love to see you all in similar situation. They want to know how and how long you would be able to hold on to the short end of the stick, professionally.
4) You all can figure the rest out better than me.

In the case that one doesn’t know anything about the headline that interviewer asks, s/he can ask the interviewer to brief the story. The worse that could happen should be a few more stories one of which you should have heard.

I was obese and lived with it for the majority of my life. Most physician told me my weight and said symptoms would get better if I lost weight. Unfortunately that did not work. Untill I realized and someone told me (family member) that I am fat and getting fatter then did I make changes and loose that weight. Even though it hurts.. GUESS WHAT IT WAS TRUE.

I wish my doctors over the years told me that. Maybe I would of lost weight at 15 years old and not 25 years old. Maybe I would of enjoyed high school. Played more sports and not have had confidence issues since I was terribly fat for my short hight.

So this lady should go and **** her self and drop the lawsuit. What is next... oh your mole looks ugly. Ohhhh sorry .. I don't want to tell you to have chemo cause you will lose your hair. BITE ME. REALITYYYYY SUCKS.. people need to be scared.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9135728/

Update:

Seems she wasn't so upset about being called fat, but about being told her husband would leave her and she would probably only be attractive to black men. To quote:

“Let’s face it, if your husband were to die tomorrow, who would want you?” the state Board of Medicine says Dr. Terry Bennett told the overweight patient in June 2004.

“Well, men might want you, but not the types you want to want you. Might even be a black guy,” it quoted him as saying, based on the woman’s complaint.

this doctor has a history of problems with honesty and sensitivity.

those quotes are just ridiculous

wow. so that wasnt so good to tell the patient...but come on, being threatened to revoke his license to practice? At least I'm pretty sure that might be his punishment. Thats not cool.

I can assure you that my fellow fatties and I are not cruising along blissfully on a sea of chocolate syrup and ice cream. We know we are fat, we know most people don't find it attractive, we know it's unhealthy and we wish were smaller.

My doctor is great about providing diet and exercise info when I ask her, and is non-judgemental and supportive. I can't remember who brought up weight-loss first, but I think it was me.

If I were to have a stroke, heart attack, need knee surgery, get diabetes, whatever - I would fully expect the doctor to advise weight loss as part of the treatment plan. I wasn't offended when my nurse-midwife shared with me the obesity-related risks of pregnancy.

I WAS offended when an OBGYN was more concerned about getting me on Yasmin post-partum to help me lose weight than he was about the effect it could have on my milk production and nursing my newborn.

Not to pick on OBGYNs, but another one chose to initiate the "lose weight or else" discussion right before the pelvic exam, when I was already naked and uncomfortable. I never went back to him.

So, certainly weight related advice is called for in many situations. Knowing that is the easy part for physicians. Learning WHEN and HOW to give that advice is the big challenge. No offense, but I'm not exactly bowled over by the sensitivity displayed by some future doctors in this thread.

jamesrd said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9135728/

Update:

Seems she wasn't so upset about being called fat, but about being told her husband would leave her and she would probably only be attractive to black men. To quote:

“Let’s face it, if your husband were to die tomorrow, who would want you?” the state Board of Medicine says Dr. Terry Bennett told the overweight patient in June 2004.

“Well, men might want you, but not the types you want to want you. Might even be a black guy,” it quoted him as saying, based on the woman’s complaint.

That is hillarious.

CTSballer11 said:
That is hillarious.

what's so hilarious about something showing that this guy made rude and totally inappropriate remarks to his patients? the more i read this site, the more scared i am about the future of medicine.

anyway, the most recent articles did show that there was definitely more to this story than originally reported. telling a patient that she's obese does not deserve censure because it's a valid medical diagnosis and probably should be addressed by physicians. making racist and just downright insulting comments to patients is not appropriate in any context. it sounds like this guy has a real self-control issues.

exlawgrrl said:
what's so hilarious about something showing that this guy made rude and totally inappropriate remarks to his patients? the more i read this site, the more scared i am about the future of medicine.

anyway, the most recent articles did show that there was definitely more to this story than originally reported. telling a patient that she's obese does not deserve censure because it's a valid medical diagnosis and probably should be addressed by physicians. making racist and just downright insulting comments to patients is not appropriate in any context. it sounds like this guy has a real self-control issues.

I think what he said is really funny. What can I say, I am sure other people on this site may have laughed after reading it. With that said, I do not condone those comments and I myself would never say that to anyone. Relax, the future of medicine is fine.