Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

How safe it your and your parent's financial information?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JohnMadden, Feb 22, 2007.

1. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

Is anyone concerned about the safety of their financial information (personal and parent's) while applying for financial aid?

Why do I mention this: Johns Hopkins lost a LOT of university employee and student information. It was a big deal in the local Baltimore media. I'm a little worried because Hopkins requires you to submit everything (returns, W-2, 1099, etc) and it made me worry about the security of my information.

2. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    If you are concerned, ask. Don't phone. Send a letter. Ask what safeguards are in place to protect sensitive information such as name, address, SS# and so forth that can be used for identity theft. The first person prosecuted for a violation of HIPAA was a worker who stole patient information from medical records & used it to apply for credit cards. It doesn't hurt to check and let schools know that you are looking out for yourself. (Someone who is sensitive about their own privacy will, one hopes, be respectful of others, too).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. Medical school applications violate all sorts of privacy and security protocols you'd find on most business sites. The idea of logging in with a social security number to so many websites gives me hives.

Lizzy's rec is a good one. The only schools that won't reply are probably the ones that should make you nervous...

4. bbabul01

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Poor you. I'm just going to guess this means you didn't exactly deal with financial aid as an undergrad? Worry less about keeping your info secure and more about how much financial aid blows in general.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...