How screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gilbert Syndrome

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student, applying IM

Step 1: 241
Level 1 : 647

Step 2: 231
Level 2: 585

Went down 10 points from my step 1. Not sure how this will affect me during interview season. Currently, I am interested in a career in hospitalist medicine but I would like to go somewhere that will allow me to pursue fellowship if I choose to go down that path.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be alright. You can match into low tier academics, potentially mid-tier academics, and strong community programs that have in house fellowships. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DO student, applying IM

Step 1: 241
Level 1 : 647

Step 2: 231
Level 2: 585

Went down 10 points from my step 1. Not sure how this will affect me during interview season. Currently, I am interested in a career in hospitalist medicine but I would like to go somewhere that will allow me to pursue fellowship if I choose to go down that path.

Are you being facetious?

Reactions: 1 users
Are you being facetious?

No. I dropped from being in the 60ish percentile to the 20th something percentile. If you look at program director survey the second thing they look at is step 2. I think my concern is legitimate.

No. I dropped from being in the 60ish percentile to the 20th something percentile. If you look at program director survey the second thing they look at is step 2. I think my concern is legitimate.

For IM? I entirely, whole-heartedly disagree.

For IM? I entirely, whole-heartedly disagree.
There are some IM Programs that will not extend an interview without step 2, and care about it a great deal. IM cares about step 2 more compared to the average specialty. Only surgical subs dont care about step 2.
1567397649580.png

1567397614508.png

Reactions: 2 users
You will match into a solid IM program with fellowships with those scores, regardless of the slight dip. Thought you were applying anesthesia?

I did an away in anesthesia and after a lot of self reflection I ended up switching last minute.

Cool. My point was that OP did just fine on both Step 1 and 2.
OP went from above average to below average, not by much, and unlikely will impact them in a large way. However, their concern is not without merit looking at the program director survey.

My application was similar a few years ago and I think it was a non issue, matched into an academic program. I don't think your interview invites will look much different witha 240+ step 2.