1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How secretive are you of DATs/Acceptances/Rejections with peers?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by adizzle87, Dec 27, 2008.

1. adizzle87

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    OK so I have some buds who are pre-dental. When it comes to things like asking about how he/she did on the DAT, whats their GPA, if you've gotten interviews, etc etc people seem to be really tight lipped. Does anyone know why is it that people are tight lipped about things like this, even after people are accepted into D school?

I don't see what the issue is so could anyone enlighten me on this issue?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    They don't want to brag and/or they don't want their intelligence to be ranked by the numbers they have. If you have higher scores, I'm not going to tell you my lower scores because I don't want to feel inferior. If you have lower scores, I'm not going to tell you my higher scores because I don't want you to feel inferior. "Peers" means that we are equals, and I'd rather not bring in something to upset that balance.

4. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Everybody at my school is way secretive about all their scores. I still ask, just to get a feel about what caliber of students are applying and getting interviews to which schools, but I rarely get any answers. Personally, if somebody asks me about my GPA or whatever, I'll tell them, but I don't volunteer anything.

5. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    b/c people have insecurities about how smart they are.

6. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I've been really open about the entire process to my peers, friends, acquantances. I have a couple friends who are Pre-Dental who have also been very open with me about the process, and they happen to be as successful or more successful than me in the admissions process.

However, for those peers with borderline scores, who didn't get the interviews they were hoping for, who didn't hear a lot of good news on Dec. 1st, they were reluctant to share any information about how they were doing, even when people genuinely cared how they were doing in the process and wished them the best, and even if they were my friends. They seemed fakely congratulatory towards my success when I shared it with them, and seemed to carry a lot of resentment and jealousy.

I'm thinking that it's better to keep it to yourself how you're doing in the application cycle. I hate to think that all this negative energy is flowing towards me (i.e. jealousy), even when I am trying to share my good fortunes with them, and even if our places were reversed that I would be so happy for them because they are my friends (or at least I thought they were...)

And I like Ranelars point of view, that rings very true. Better to just be "Peers"

7. Stephie3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    "So, how many schools did you apply to?"
    "Well, ummmm...i got five interviews!!"

"dude, i can't believe you only got a 20 out of 30 on the DAT."
    enough said.

8. murff05

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    because people may judge my intelligence solely on my scores. :rolleyes:

9. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    generally they don't ask how i did on the dat bc they don't understand, but i do tell them i have 8 interviews, or i've been accepted to xx amount of schools etc...but only when asked, i feel bad because i have friends who are trying to get into med school and are having a tough time. i'm hoping they get in, it's gotten extremely competitive.

i do feel bad though, a lot of the pre-med students didn't even apply bc they did so poorly on their mcats, so i try not to talk about being accepted in front of them too much.

10. 206127

Dental Student
    I'm not secretive at all and neither are any of the predents at my university. Non predents usually ask me if I passed the DAT... haha I always say yes :laugh:

11. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    By viewing your predents folder, it seems you are the same way.

No specific school, major listed, DAT scores, or schools applied to list a few.

12. adizzle87

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Filled in the blanks just for disclosure. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, I just haven't taken the DAT yet and am not applying until June.

13. sloken

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    last cycle, i had 0 intys, and only brought that fact up when asked (and had no qualms about discussing it, just didn't want to volunteer the info freely.

Back then I envisioned that I'd be jumping off the walls, telling everyone when i finally got into a Dschool.

This cycle, had x intys and x acceptances, but weirdly enough, I kept it a secret for almost a week aside from my friend who was with me when i checked my email on Dec1. I have no idea why, but it just seems like I was confident in my chances, and as some others have mentioned, didn't want to seem conceited infront of my friends that are applying to various grad/med schools. I'll always tell when asked tho :D

14. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Same with scores on midterms/finals and gpa. Makes life MUCH simpler when you don't have to talk about scores and acceptances.

15. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I, too, don't like to advertise my scores, interviews, acceptances, etc. But then there are times you run into pre-dent students at interviews who try to belittle you with their DAT scores only to discover that their scores weren't so hot compared to yours.

16. None of my peers are applying to dental school, so they aren't jealous or anything. I shared when i interviewed and where I got accepted when they ask, but they neither care about nor understand DAT scoring and don't care about my GPA so it's irrelevant.

17. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Really? Thats really immature of them. Im glad I never had that experience. People at my interviews were all really nice and I thought there was actually some camaraderie. We all shared the common bond of knowing what each other had gone through in order to get to that point and we all had a common future ahead of us.

18. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm extremely secretive and tight lipped. I wouldn't put my DAT scores, GPA, or where I got accepted just out there for anyone to see. No way, no how.

19. eldirty

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    After about the 700th person asked I was just tired of talking about it ... I should have just posted my resume in the paper so people could read it and not have to ask over and over ... "when do you take your test?" "how did you do?" "what does that mean?" "where are you applying?" "have you heard anything back from schools?" "where are you headed next year for dental school?"

20. Enso

Enso Dr. Troy
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Lol this is good stuff right here.

21. AggieDDS

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    HAHHAHAHAH

This definitely reminded me about that one joke that Russell Peters said about white guys keeping who they voted for a secret.

*Note: I am not trying to be racist.

22. playa2652

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't see what the fuss is all about. I always talked to people truthfully about my scores, GPA, and my dental experience, interviews, and acceptances. When someone I know is going thru the same process or is planning on applying to dental school, I try to be as helpful as possible by telling them the truth. Realistically, your only hurting them if you don't tell them they are somewhat weak in a particular area or give them an idea to see if they should even apply to select schools. I know some people who had better DAT scores and GPAs than me, and they didn't get accepted into UC dental school (which was their number one choice), while I did (not bragging). What I am trying to emphasize is that dentistry is considered a community health profession, and we should be treating our future colleagues with more respect by disclosing information to them, so that they may also achieve their goals. We are all in this together, so let us make the best of it by extending a helping hand to others.

23. IDoWhatIWant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They might just be the competitive type, who doesn't like sharing anything. Weird predents...

24. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    to each his own...

25. Spin

Spin me right round baby
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better. Of course, with close friends it's kind of hard to keep a secret, so occasionally if stats come up in conversation I'll just ask whether or not they want to exchange stats. That way you're not stuck giving your info to someone and not getting any in return.