How serious are the COMLEX cutoff scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justlookingtoaskstuff

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say a program puts a cut-off score of 550 and you scored 540, would you be automatically screened out?
I only ask because common sense says you would, but older posts on here suggest that it's not as concrete as some programs make it out to be (often inviting below their cutoff scores).

Anyone gotten an interview like this?

Members don't see this ad.

If its a program you really want gamble but realize you might get filtered

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally I know of people that have met USMLE cutoff but not COMLEX and have had no problem securing interview. This will be totally program dependent.

Let's say a program puts a cut-off score of 550 and you scored 540, would you be automatically screened out?
I only ask because common sense says you would, but older posts on here suggest that it's not as concrete as some programs make it out to be (often inviting below their cutoff scores).

Anyone gotten an interview like this?

Depends what specialty. In a competitive specialty, a cutoff score is just a minimum to even get a look. People that interview/match usually will have higher scores, if not sognificantly higher.

Anecdotally I know of people that have met USMLE cutoff but not COMLEX and have had no problem securing interview. This will be totally program dependent.

I had the opposite problem, easily met the USMLE cutoff, but not quite with the COMLEX. No interview, instead a letter informing me my COMLEX wasn’t high enough for consideration. They wanted 550+ on both parts, but only a 218 USMLE. One of my COMLEX’s was in the 540’s.

I had the opposite problem, easily met the USMLE cutoff, but not quite with the COMLEX. No interview, instead a letter informing me my COMLEX wasn’t high enough for consideration. They wanted 550+ on both parts, but only a 218 USMLE. One of my COMLEX’s was in the 540’s.

I know people who had both problems, as well as people who got auditions and/or interviews despite not meeting a stated cutoff. There's no uniform answer. Totally program dependent.

A neurology program in CA has a COMLEX-II cutoff higher than mine. I still got an interview though. Doesn't hurt to try.

In our program, we have 5 slots to fill from approximately 550 applications. We try to invite 60 to 70 for an interview. We set a cutoff, 240 USMLE this year, and if we do not get the number of candidates we want to interview, we will lower the cutoff until we reach that goal. This may be why some folks are getting interviews with below the "cutoff" step 1 score.

But that depends. If it was an ACGME program, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd imagine them to care less about the COMLEX once they see the impressive USMLE score. Not that COMLEX is worth shirking on of course.

But that depends. If it was an ACGME program, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd imagine them to care less about the COMLEX once they see the impressive USMLE score. Not that COMLEX is worth shirking on of course.

I am because I have heard of cases from the residents on here where they meet the USMLE cut off and not the COMLEX cut off and didn't get an interview. Its not that they care about the COMLEX, but they had another weeder tool in their arsenal.