How serious is this GPA drop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This semester was a rough one... I took an inorganic chemistry class that consumed my life and apparently my GPA. Here is the deal... tell me how bad this GPA drop looks. I will show you my past course history and grades and then this last semester (only prereqs/science courses will be shown, I have a 4.0 in non-science)

Freshman
Fall
General Chemistry A-
Spring
Introductory Biology A
Biology Laboratory A-
Organic Chemistry I A
Chemical Research A

Sophomore
Fall
Molecular Biology A+
Organic Chemistry II A-
Organic Laboratory A
Spring
Environmental Biology A+
Physics I B+
Inorganic Chemistry B

Before this semester by GPA was a 3.93 and now it is a 3.80. I don't feel like I am overreacting because I see so much talk on here about how good upward trends look...so what about this downward trend? Aren't I justified in messing up later?! Oh btw... Physics and Inorganic were 5 credit hours...ouch!

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Let me add... its not my GPA I am concerned about. It is the drop... I just wanted to be clear.

i dont think it would hurt provided your gpa is still good but it certainly wont help.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you start to hit C's, then start to worry.

Doesn't look bad at all.

Well I know the GPA itself isn't bad, but would you say that I can't afford another semester of B's?

Also, from here on out I am basically going to be taking science classes that aren't prereqs. Is getting a B in Pchem better than getting it in organic I?

Well I know the GPA itself isn't bad, but would you say that I can't afford another semester of B's?

Well, what's your goal in life? To get into the prestigious Ivy League schools or to just get in anywhere?

Honestly, getting into my state school is my first priority.

If your GPA improves next semester, I wouldn't worry about. If it stays the same, I also wouldn't worry too much. If it drops even more, I would become more worried. Basically, you still have time to redeem yourself so don't get yourself worked up about it yet.

This happened to me. My first three semesters went very well and last semester was not so good. I didn't panic about it just yet because I knew I had time to redeem myself, so I worked my butt off this semester and hopefully in a few days when my professors finally decide to post grades, I will see a better GPA on my transcript. :cool:

You're fine. What you should understand is that the trend only matters if it actually exists. This is going to look more like a bump than anything.

No need to panic. If you never get another A, or grades keep dropping, then you've got yourself an issue. However, a B+ or two in a rigorous course shouldn't, by itself anyway, stop you from becoming a doctor. (Since nobody has said really said it, I'll just say that in my mind a negative trend would look something like this, by semesters: 3.9, 3.8, 3.6, 3.6, 3.4, 3.5, 3.2, 2.9, 3.1.... that would of course be very obvious, and a big red flag that either skills or study motivation are lacking for harder courses.)

Just keep your goal in mind and do your best - no sense worrying about the past unless it's so bad you need to remedy it, which it's definitely not. Also, it would be great for your ap. if you can beat your grade for physics II. Shoot for as many As in science classes that you can. But please, please don't stress out too much about the little stuff.

erm, really, OP? :confused:

My worst GPA was junior year:

Freshman: 3.9
Sophomore: 3.8
Junior: 3.5-3.6
Senior: 3.8

I had no probs.

This semester was a rough one... I took an inorganic chemistry class that consumed my life and apparently my GPA. Here is the deal... tell me how bad this GPA drop looks. I will show you my past course history and grades and then this last semester (only prereqs/science courses will be shown, I have a 4.0 in non-science)

Freshman
Fall
General Chemistry A-
Spring
Introductory Biology A
Biology Laboratory A-
Organic Chemistry I A
Chemical Research A

Sophomore
Fall
Molecular Biology A+
Organic Chemistry II A-
Organic Laboratory A
Spring
Environmental Biology A+
Physics I B+
Inorganic Chemistry B

Before this semester by GPA was a 3.93 and now it is a 3.80. I don't feel like I am overreacting because I see so much talk on here about how good upward trends look...so what about this downward trend? Aren't I justified in messing up later?! Oh btw... Physics and Inorganic were 5 credit hours...ouch!

Opinions?
Its actuall kinda common sense. If you have a 3.9-4.0, you pretty much have no where to go but down... vs a person with a 3.5 that has the room to go up. If you get a B then of course it will go down and the ADCOMs will know this. In short... No it will not hurt you, no help, but not hurt. (Just dont let it go too low)