How seriously do you take scores of retaken AAMCs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the title is self explanatory.

i'm retaking my mcat July 10th, so i'm retaking the AAMCs that I took before. the first time taking the real test, i only went over physics and some chem. i could barely finish the BS on time and couldn't finish the PS on time.

this time around, I went over all the physics again, all the chem, all the bio, and no ochem yet. I took AAMC 8's PS and AAMC 10's BS. the last time I saw these tests were 3 months and 2.5 months ago. I did a few whole point betters this time around on each. I also finished each of them with 10 min left over to go back and review. It feels like a good accomplishment, but I don't know how much of a factor I took them a few months ago plays.

honestly, the tests almost seem like new tests to me because I barely recalled any of them whatsoever. i looked through the 30+ mcat post and some ppl posted theyre retake scores on there. theyre retake scores were actually close to their 2nd real mcat score, so perhaps a few months later you really don't remember any of it? I don't know...

for those who have retaken any, how seriously have you considered the retake scores? how accurate were they compared to any new tests you took? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the person, but I'll give you my take. For me, a score on a retaken practice test would mean very little. The problem I run into is that I inadvertently memorize the test. Also, because I thoroughly analyze my practice test, I end up remembering most of the answers. This is especially the case when I miss a problem. Hence, what ends up happening is that I don't need to read the passage and I just fill in the bubbles. As a consequence, the retake means nothing and I get nothing out of it.

Another problem is that even if you don't remember the answers, the passage isn't fresh. You've seen it before which reduces the shock value of the harder passages. When you retake, you go in knowing what gave you trouble and are able to plan accordingly. You will NOT have this advantage on the real deal.

If you didn't remember much, maybe its a good indicator. I tend to remember far too much information for that, so I personally wouldn't rely on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would use them as a way to work on my test taking skills. Maybe analyze the way you attack passages, questions, etc.

But, I think the scores are not completely valid.

You can never "de" virginize a practice test. Once you have worked it over, the lay of the land is still with you. Most of it you will be even unaware of too.

I definitely still have memories of past material in the back of my mind even if its been a while since going over it. I'll glance at a word in a passage and think oh yeah that was important.

Don't count on score being accurate, but redoing the exam is definitely a good idea, because there will be questions you don't remember.