How seriously to take an invitation to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neopentanol

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never before considered applying to University of Washington in St. Louis because of my low gpa (3.32), but they sent me a brochure and a letter inviting me to apply because they were impressed with my MCAT score of 38. Needless to say I'd love to go there, but how liberally do they send out these letters? I don't want to get excited, pay extra application money and not even be invited to interview. Is it common for a school to invite someone to apply, and then not consider them for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

neopentanol said:
I never before considered applying to University of Washington in St. Louis because of my low gpa (3.32), but they sent me a brochure and a letter inviting me to apply because they were impressed with my MCAT score of 38. Needless to say I'd love to go there, but how liberally do they send out these letters? I don't want to get excited, pay extra application money and not even be invited to interview. Is it common for a school to invite someone to apply, and then not consider them for an interview?

The honest answer is that they're just fishing for an application. They send that out to everyone who has a high MCAT. But you have an astronomical MCAT, so I would definitely apply. I have a much lower GPA and i got an invite, but I work here so that may have helped. But honestly, with how many applications the average applicant send out, adding WashU is not going to do great damage to your wallet. It's only $50 to apply (unless they raise it next year), and the application is probably the easiest you'll ever fill out.

Good luck.

Hi, you got spam. They send it to everyone who gets a good MCAT score. In fact, I got a great email from U o' Illinois - Urbana Champaign. The first paragraph:

Dear Medical School Applicant:

As part of our recruiting efforts, we recently mailed a packet of information to MCAT examinees who performed well to let you know about the unique MD/PhD opportunities available through the Medical Scholars Program (MSP) - http://www.med.uiuc.edu/msp - at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (http://www.uiuc.edu ).

I will give Wash. U. credit, though. That is some glossy paper they sent you, isn't it? Oh, and everyone at that med school is way smarter than I am. I went to Wash. U. for undergrad, St. Louis has some fantastic food. And Kurt Warner used to be on commercials that aired at like 3:00 AM on public access peddling Jesus.

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:
I will give Wash. U. credit, though. That is some glossy paper they sent you, isn't it? Oh, and everyone at that med school is way smarter than I am. I went to Wash. U. for undergrad, St. Louis has some fantastic food. And Kurt Warner used to be on commercials that aired at like 3:00 AM on public access peddling Jesus.

:laugh:

Caboose.

Hahaha, similar circumstances as you... my GPA is not great, but my MCAT is >40, and got that as well. They just want your application money. And remember, the info they get from the AAMC about your MCAT doesn't include your GPA information! My cousin went to WashU, residency at JHU... she hated WashU, very competitive cut-throat environment, and plus it's St. Louis, all you have is the arch to amuse yourself. :)

I didn't apply, and I personally feel you shouldn't either, especially since your GPA is lower than their average of like 3.8 or whatever. That's just my $0.02, you're free to do what you want.

Don't believe it! I got the same letter, but I applied months ago and still ain't got me no interview :laugh:
Seriously though, my app was complete in late October and I still haven't heard anything. Your MCAT is a little higher than mine, so maybe you'll have better luck. Go ahead and apply if you're interested, but I don't think the letter means squat...

Haha, I got the same thing from WashU and I nearly posted the same question. My MCAT is 37; I suppose that's why. I was so excited to get unsolicited mail from one of my top choices - I'm not even applying until next year (I'm a junior)!

Anyway, at least I'm in good company.

Cheers