How should a premed choose their minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I was wondering what logic people use, except for the obvious "whatever they like" answer.
I'm only 2 classes away from finishing up a chemistry minor (inorganic chem and basic molecular chem class)
but was looking into the possibility of taking up a business related minor which would be 6 more classes.

My logic is that no matter what job you may have in today's world, you should be up to par with business. I've never actually taken a business class in my life but wanted to consider the minor so I could be exposed to the business side and also gain some potentially useful skills.

What do you guys think? I know that a minor doesn't matter at all for med school, but need to know whether to choose business (6 easy to midlevel classes) or chem (2 more slightly harder classes)? (either option will not delay graduation or affect my tuition). I also have equal interest/disinterest in both.

On a different but related note, would having 4-5 B's or B+'s in non-science classes be looked down upon by med schools? (I have a 3.85 sGPA right now, and if I choose the business route, might get a couple B's affecting cGPA due to business professor bias but not touch the sGPA). Chem classes I would take after applying so doesn't really affect my sGPA while applying. High GPA otherwise

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on taking a few business classes before I graduate. Don't take a minor. It's too restricting. One can have an education with a lot of breadth without a minor. The only reason I can see for taking a minor is if you were already planning on taking all those classes anyways.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
It honestly doesn't matter. It is just a title. If you want, take a few business and a few chems. Even is it lowers your GPA by a little bit a 3.8 is easily sufficient for medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Major doesnt matter.

2. Take a major you like. Do something interesting. You only get to be an undergrad once, dont take a major that you dont enjoy just to look good on med school applications or have some sort of backup. Your grades will be better if you actually want to learn and study the stuff you are being tested on.

I was wondering what logic people use, except for the obvious "whatever they like" answer.
I'm only 2 classes away from finishing up a chemistry minor (inorganic chem and basic molecular chem class)
but was looking into the possibility of taking up a business related minor which would be 6 more classes.

My logic is that no matter what job you may have in today's world, you should be up to par with business. I've never actually taken a business class in my life but wanted to consider the minor so I could be exposed to the business side and also gain some potentially useful skills.

What do you guys think? I know that a minor doesn't matter at all for med school, but need to know whether to choose business (6 easy to midlevel classes) or chem (2 more slightly harder classes)? (either option will not delay graduation or affect my tuition). I also have equal interest/disinterest in both.

On a different but related note, would having 4-5 B's or B+'s in non-science classes be looked down upon by med schools? (I have a 3.85 sGPA right now, and if I choose the business route, might get a couple B's affecting cGPA due to business professor bias but not touch the sGPA). Chem classes I would take after applying so doesn't really affect my sGPA while applying. High GPA otherwise

I'd go the business route. Chem is meh (and I say that as someone with a chem minor)

I was in a similar position going into my senior year, I only had a couple courses left for my major and needed something to fill my schedule, so I took on the rest of the classes I needed for a music minor. My music background (and minor) was a big talking point in interviews, and I'm sure you can talk about your interest in business in your interviews!

1. Major doesnt matter.

2. Take a major you like. Do something interesting. You only get to be an undergrad once, dont take a major that you dont enjoy just to look good on med school applications or have some sort of backup. Your grades will be better if you actually want to learn and study the stuff you are being tested on.

Did you even read his post??

I followed the business minor track until I talked to people who did it and they told me that most of the classes weren't helpful and they told me the two out of eight classes that were the most helpful. I would ask people who finished the minor and take only the high-yield classes b/c having a minor is pretty useless.

Did you even read his post??

My school doesnt do minors so I guess i just glossed over it.

But then my point is amplified. If a major is meaningless, so it minor, much more so.

My school doesnt do minors so I guess i just glossed over it.

But then my point is amplified. If a major is meaningless, so it minor, much more so.

Which OP acknowledged. "I know that a minor doesn't matter at all for med school..."

I didn't choose my minor, the minor chose me.

Literally. I took and all the gen chem and the ochem series and I apparently earned myself a chem minor lol

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, my college requires everyone who is not double majoring to minor in something.

I've never taken a business class before and wanted to know if they're harder than the premed prereqs. I know for a fact that the business teachers in my school are biased, but I want to know if easy As are possible in business classes in spite of this. Also, do business classes generally require less effort than the premed sciences like bio or chem?

Unfortunately, my college requires everyone who is not double majoring to minor in something.

I've never taken a business class before and wanted to know if they're harder than the premed prereqs. I know for a fact that the business teachers in my school are biased, but I want to know if easy As are possible in business classes in spite of this. Also, do business classes generally require less effort than the premed sciences like bio or chem?

It highly depends. People over-hype the difficulty of the "science prereqs". They're just science classes. It's just that the majority of people who take them have no business being in those classes. Many departments have their own "weeder classes" in which people there also have no business being in those classes. So it all really depends on you.

Reactions: 1 user
Take something that interests you. I would personally love to learn more about anthropology if I had room for it :)

Choose it based on your interests. Don't let it lower your GPA though, it is definitely not worth it. Latin's always a good one if you want to get an extra leg up on medical terminology.

I took two AP english courses in high school, found that many med schools don't take AP credit so I took 6 more units of english. After this I realized that I was close enough to the minor and I liked english enough so I minored in it. It doesn't have to be something you're crazy passionate about, but if you're somewhat interested in it and you're close to the minor, why not?

I took two AP english courses in high school, found that many med schools don't take AP credit so I took 6 more units of english. After this I realized that I was close enough to the minor and I liked english enough so I minored in it. It doesn't have to be something you're crazy passionate about, but if you're somewhat interested in it and you're close to the minor, why not?
I thought most MDs accepted AP credit for non-sciences? Is this not true anymore?(specifically for English)

Last edited by a moderator: