How Should I Address a Medical Student in a Post-Interview Thank you Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScrubswithnoSleeves

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Dumb question but I was wondering how I should address a medical student who interviewed me in my thank you letter. "Dear Mr. Doe" seems more awk than "Dear Jon Doe".

Also on top of that, the guy doesn't like to be called by his first name (he's an international student) and prefers "Alex" let's say. It seemed like he did not like his given name/ was embarrassed by it so I am wondering whether to use his given or preferred name.

So should I address the letter "Dear Jon Doe" or "Dear Alex Doe" or just smash it together and say "Dear Alex Jon Doe".

I hate myself for asking a question like this hahaha.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hey All,

Dumb question but I was wondering how I should address a medical student who interviewed me in my thank you letter. "Dear Mr. Doe" seems more awk than "Dear Jon Doe".

Also on top of that, the guy doesn't like to be called by his first name (he's an international student) and prefers "Alex" let's say. It seemed like he did not like his given name/ was embarrassed by it so I am wondering whether to use his given or preferred name.

So should I address the letter "Dear Jon Doe" or "Dear Alex Doe" or just smash it together and say "Dear Alex Jon Doe".

Why not "Hi Alex"? :unsure:

Reactions: 4 users
If he prefers Alex, it seems the least awkotaco to call him Alex.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol this is funny but also 100% understandable. I used Mr. first name last name but in your case I would say go for Mr. preferred name last name. If there is credibility needed, I was accepted to this school where I sent this thank you letter

Why not "Hi Alex"? :unsure:

I was under the impression these were supposed to be semi-formal. Particularly because this school has you send them through the ADCOM and they said they all have access to it haha.

I was under the impression these were supposed to be semi-formal. Particularly because this school has you send them through the ADCOM and they said they all have access to it haha.

In my thank you notes, I referred to physicians and PhDs as "Dr.", non-PhD professional staff and administrators as "Ms./Mr.", and students by their given name. You're effectively professional peers with these students, so calling them by anything other than their preferred name would be awkward. Yes, the tone and content of thank you notes should be "semi-formal" (which really means professional, not "socially formal"), so don't be too chummy or relaxed in your communication and you'll be fine.

I think that Dear [preferred first name] or Hello [preferred first name] or Hi [preferred first name], is best. Keep in mind that you may cross paths with people who are transitioning and that have a "dead name" that it pains them to hear. Be thoughtful, always, and use a person's preferred name.

Reactions: 5 users
I would personally prefer "Dearest Future Dr. Doe"

• Haha
you are severely overthinking this. He hasn't earned any titles yet so you don't have to be overly formal with him. He has already addressed what his preferred name is so it should simply be "Hi Alex", although if you ventured out and called him by his birth name I am certain he wouldn't be offended to the point where he throws your evaluation in the trash.

Hey All,

Dear Alex,