Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time posting a thread, so I apologize if I posted in the wrong place. Please direct me to the correct one if thats the case! I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to how to appropriately answer the AACOMAS COVID Question (I provided it below).

I was extremely fortunate and blessed that I was able to keep my clinical research job and actually had the opportunity to help out with COVID specific projects throughout the hospital. I wanted to discuss this but I don't want it to come off as egotistic or showing off how I was blessed to carry on my extracurriculars when so many people were struggling or impacted in a negative manner by COVID.

I could perhaps also discuss how my parents both lost their jobs and I was able to help with bills but I also don't want to show a complete sob story. Any thoughts or opinions? Thank you!

PROMPT:

Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to medical school. Items to consider incorporating into your response may include but are not limited to:

Academic: Were you able to interact with your professors? Did you have to leave an academic program stateside or abroad? Did your school require you to move to pass/fail grading systems? Did your MCAT exam get cancelled, delayed? Other academic barriers?

Professional: Did you hold a job? Did you have to go out and seek new job opportunities? Did you lose a job? Other financial or professional barriers that you faced?

Personal: Did you have to move out of a house or dorm? Did you have to cancel travel plans? Did you modify your planned experiences related to healthcare or volunteer opportunities? Did you seek out volunteer opportunities that arose from the crisis? Did you assist any family or community members that were affected? (2500)

I think you don't need to mention being lucky to keep your job to have a strong essay. Merely your ability to perform covid related activities is a great way to address the question, and you can talk about your experiences and what you did. If you didn't lose your job, no need to address job loss. Address the awesome things you did in your job that are related to covid and how they affect your path to medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just share what you did to help with the COVID pandemic. Not everyone lost their jobs (especially in healthcare), so don't mention that. It will be good to have something unique like this to talk about at your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.