Medical How should I answer "Adversity" secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with pre-writing the adversity/challenge secondary essay. It seems like such a double standard; on the one hand, we're supposed to reflect on real difficulties that made us who we are, and on the other, subjects like mental illness, abuse, substance use, and the like are not appropriate for discussion. I have seen some legitimate adversity but it isn't of the sort I should theoretically discuss in a med school essay. When I scrap those experiences and look for other challenges to discuss, I feel like those fourth or fifth choice experiences are banal and undermine the extent of my personal growth.

I'm not trying to be bitter about the standards of the application process; I realize this prompt is here for a reason and I want to put my personal challenges aside while answering in a way that reflects my resilience and maturity. Does anyone have advice on approaching this - perhaps after having written/seen a similar situation? Happy to clarify anything, this is my first time here and I would appreciate any guidance.
A long stretch of good academic performance will allay Adcom's concerns about mental health issues.

The whole point of the prompt is to show that you have good coping skills and that you have overcome the issues.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest writing about things other than substance abuse. Although you have overcome it (hopefully), you can see how this could look in eyes of the Adcom. I am sure if you self reflect, you will find other adversities you have faced that will satisfy the adcom and the essay requirement.

Thank you! I actually listed examples non-specific to myself, just to generalize; I haven't dealt with substance use myself. I appreciate the advice. As a follow-up, if we briefly mention health issues/hospitalizations, would adcoms inquire as to the nature of the illness or expect further details?
Anything you put in an app is fair game for an interviewer, to a degree. If you state you were ill for a semester and had bad grades, we can't ask what the illness was. We CAN ask what did you take away from it, how was your interaction with the health system, what did you learn from your doctor. If you specifically state that you had, say, melanoma, we can drill down a little deeper for details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I actually listed examples non-specific to myself, just to generalize; I haven't dealt with substance use myself. I appreciate the advice. As a follow-up, if we briefly mention health issues/hospitalizations, would adcoms inquire as to the nature of the illness or expect further details?
Just adding, no one should be inquiring about specific details about any medical diagnoses or disabilities you have unprompted. Once you are admitted, you would be expected to disclose that information to the student health service and learning services office especially if you need accommodations.

Status
Not open for further replies.