How should I begin my step 1 prep (IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS1 here, so my university gives us the chance to go to Chicago or Maryland for our 3rd and 4th year placements/rotations. I have to sit USMLE step 1 in order to go and I plan to end up practicing in the US anyway.

Basically everyone here recommends to start studying for step 1 from day 1 so that's what i'll be doing as they said the UK content doesn't go into the same depth required for step 1. So i've essentially got two years till test date.

I was planning on going through all B&B then zanki and then into Kaplan Q bank, USMLE-RX and then go through FA and then hopefully two passes of UWorld and throw Kaplan notes and pathoma in there somewhere. If I have any leftover time i'll go through sketchy and do another pass of FA and focus on weaker areas.

Is there anything i'm missing and does the order of things seem to make sense?

Ortho is the dream and they do have ortho residencies at these hospitals so if I can get a good rapport with the directors it may be possible (no need to tell me its impossible) but otherwise Gen/vascular surgery is the realistic goal.

P.s what zanki settings do you guys find the best/most realistic, i'm currently on 150 new a day with 600 reviews a day which i'll bump up eventually

I've been told if I just study USMLE i'll ace my classes, so once I go over the specific lecture objectives as well I should be fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yo give yourself at least one class exam before you commit to brushing off class for board prep from day 1. Also 600 review cards a day on material you haven’t even learned yet is insane. Maybe you’re super genius whatever speed reader, but about 200 cards a day is where you should max out so that you have time to actually read and learn material.

I also highly recommend making your own Anki cards where possible, you learn WAY more in the process of making cards. Check out The Med School Edge podcast.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Yo give yourself at least one class exam before you commit to brushing off class for board prep from day 1. Also 600 review cards a day on material you haven’t even learned yet is insane. Maybe you’re super genius whatever speed reader, but about 200 cards a day is where you should max out so that you have time to actually read and learn material.

I also highly recommend making your own Anki cards where possible, you learn WAY more in the process of making cards. Check out The Med School Edge podcast.

Best of luck.

Sadly I can't brush off class completely, we have attendance :(. My first class exam isn't for ages and i've had so much advice from the years above which has been great. Thankfully though my school recognizes nobody really learns in lectures so we only have 2-3 a week and get our learning objectives for the week from the PBLs.

At the moment i'm more so just reviewing the cards to become familiar with the terms rather than actually learning the content per se but i'm picking things up which will probably commit to memory or will pop back into my head once we cover it in class and of course i'm googling/scanning books to expand on certain flash cards e.g pulmonary hypoplasia leading to renal agenesis and a herniated diaphragm

I'm annotating the Zanki cards so that I can understand them, will definitely check out that podcast.

Just got B&B today so that will be my primary resource for awhile and i'll lower the anki reviews etc.

Thanks a lot :)