How should I classify (FR, SO, JR, SR) my coursework (alot of AP and IB credits) ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midnightmedham

Reaction score
I really dont know where to ask this? Im in a predicament

I entered college with 55 credits from AP and IB courses. Accoridng to the AAMC 2022 guide I would list those AP/IB courses as Freshman courses.
Now in regards to my other coursework AAMC gives me some latitude in how I choose to classify my courses since I came into college with a significant amount of AP credits. I can either choose to classify all courses taken in my first year as "freshman" or go by the number of credits which they outlined in their guide.

I did reletively well in college my first and second year of college 3.8>. my grades are 3.5 junior year and 3.3 senior year and 4.0 for postbac this is if I use the conventional classification system.

If I choose to use the latitude the AAMC gave me as i understand it. I could list no courses (courses with grades) as freshman since I have 55 credits. list an addition 10 credits for sophmore GPA to (4.0), (AAMC caps sophmore at 65 credits) ,junior GPA would be better at 3.7 and my senior GPA would go up to a 3.4 and postbac will stay the same at 4.0 . There would be no GPA for freshman year as GPA is not calculated for AP courses.

I am worried that someone in the ADCOM will raise their eyebrows or have a "hay you cant do that". The reason I might do this is to normalize the trendline in my GPA.
Instead of having a big U, it would be small U and its vertex of the porbola representing the trend will be higher. the Overall cGPA and sGPA will be the same but for each class year it will be higher.

"If you have a significant number of AP or college-level coursework credits before entering college, you may list your entire first college year as FR status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the 0 through 35 credit hour guideline for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in 2022 AMCAS® Applicant Guide 27 Association of American Medical Colleges college; in these cases, AMCAS will not change your academic status. However, if you would rather base your academic statuses on credit hours only, your application will be accepted and verified as such"

Page 27

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

As long as it is acceptable to AAMC and is verified by them the ADCOMS will not have any concerns. Go through the calculations and see how the trends look with the different options. In the end your c GPA is your c GPA and your sGPA is your s GPA. The post bac of 4.0 , f sufficient credits, should carry significant weight.

As long as it is acceptable to AAMC and is verified by them the ADCOMS will not have any concerns. Go through the calculations and see how the trends look with the different options. In the end your c GPA is your c GPA and your sGPA is your s GPA. The post bac of 4.0 , f sufficient credits, should carry significant weight.
This^^^^. You're totally overthinking it.

AMCAS IS giving you latitude, and you perfectly understand what they are allowing you to do and how it impacts how your GPAs are presented and calculated. The reason they give you this latitude is because it doesn't make a bit of difference to the schools.

Your grades are what they are, and you took the classes when you took them. Schools will see the trends, regardless of how your freshman GPA is calculated. To the extent they care at all about the trend, adcoms care about cGPA and sGPa first, and then about the trend. Not about whether you label certain credits as freshman, sophomore, etc. Just do what works for you, and don't worry about it.