Medical How should I disclose pending legal case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happened: While deer hunting in November, I accidentally took a deer without a tag. I mistakenly thought that I had bought one, however due to spotty internet connection my purchase for a tag did not go through and I did not notice this until after taking this deer. To correct this I immediately bought another tag, and filled it. This caused a red flag in the conservation department and a few days later I was contacted by a conservation department official who said that I had illegally harvested a deer, they would knock the charge down, and all I had to do was pay a fine. However when reviewing the documents sent to me, the charge was a misdemeanor for “failing to check a deer as prescribed”. I contacted a lawyer, and this case is currently still pending.

Current situation: I currently have an acceptance to one school and several more interviews. Do have to report this to the schools, even though the case is still pending? Did I shoot myself in the foot by not contacting the schools immediately when it happened? Do you have any advice for how to explain this situation?
Waiting for other experts to arrive at a consensus. I would let the school know what you have mentioned here. It is a misdemeanor charge, but depending on how long it takes for it to be resolved, it could (or could not) appear on your record until maybe right before you matriculate. That won't be a happy conversation, even if it winds up not being that important.

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting for other experts to arrive at a consensus. I would let the school know what you have mentioned here. It is a misdemeanor charge, but depending on how long it takes for it to be resolved, it could (or could not) appear on your record until maybe right before you matriculate. That won't be a happy conversation, even if it winds up not being that important.
I agree. Just tell the truth

Basically, if the story is as you represent it here as an obvious mistake that was out of your control, I can't imagine anyone would hold this against you. Trying to hide this probably would look worse than the actual offense.

I would disclose to the school you are accepted at and the ones where you have upcoming interviews. I would not go out of my way to disclose to schools where you are still under review or post-interview unless prompted.

Status
Not open for further replies.