How should I feel (what are my chances)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received my score today. My scores are as follows
VERBAL 407- 63%
Biology 455-98%
Reading 389 33%
QUAN. 495 99%
Chemistry 481 99%
Writing 3
Composite 445 98%
I am worried about my Reading score. Does it affect my chances of admission?
I didn't finish the reading, guessed about 12 questions as I ran out of time.
By the way English is not my first Language. Currently I have 4.0 GPA from a
Community college. I have no pharmacy experience. What do you think of my
Chances of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

qwerty2 said:
VERBAL 407- 63%
Biology 455-98%
Reading 389 33%
QUAN. 495 99%
Chemistry 481 99%
Writing 3
Composite 445 98%
Chances of acceptance.

I think a composite score of 98% is very good. You should be HAPPY :) . By the way, which state are you in? I'm still waing for mine.

Are you applying for Fall 06? With your stat academically, I think it's good. But you should volunteer to get some pharmacy experience. I am sure admission comittees like applicants with some background working in pharmacy. Having a good GPA & PCAT is a good start. I think you should definitely apply to USN since I heard USN LOVES applicant with hi GPA like yours. Good luck.

janbran said:
I think a composite score of 98% is very good. You should be HAPPY :) . By the way, which state are you in? I'm still waing for mine.

Are you applying for Fall 06? With your stat academically, I think it's good. But you should volunteer to get some pharmacy experience. I am sure admission comittees like applicants with some background working in pharmacy. Having a good GPA & PCAT is a good start. I think you should definitely apply to USN since I heard USN LOVES applicant with hi GPA like yours. Good luck.
I am in Texas. I am applyig for Fall 06. It was my first PCAT. Should I retake it to improve on my reading score?

qwerty2 said:
I am in Texas. I am applyig for Fall 06. It was my first PCAT. Should I retake it to improve on my reading score?

Well, if you think you could do well on all the other sections and at the same improve your reading then yes you should retake. Otherwise, i don't think you should. 98% is really good. Don't let 1 section ruin your feeling. Good luck deciding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd strongly recommend you retake to improve your Verbal & Reading scores because it's not very ideal to have a skewed distribution like that. This time around, focus strictly on your Verbal & Reading practices. Your other scores are great and they're within your potential so you need not to pay attention to them again. I did horrible on my VA & RC too, and improved drastically on Oct. PCAT when I only studied for them. Do apply for Fall '06 though. You'll never know.

Not to rain on your parade, but if you apply to schools in Texas, they look at the most recent score, even if that isn't your highest.... :(

Rxbound said:
Not to rain on your parade, but if you apply to schools in Texas, they look at the most recent score, even if that isn't your highest.... :(

I agree. If your composite is that high, I'd stick with it unless you think you can improve your reading without hurting your composite score. Take a look at the average PCAT for UT, UofH, Tech, etc. They only show the composite average. A score like yours would raise that average if they admitted you (which I'm sure they would love). Also, if you did that well in biology and okay on the writing, then it's obvious to me that you can read. :)
It's hard to quibble about the details of a 98 composite score. Congratulations and good luck.

qwerty2 said:

No I don't think you should, you made a 98. To score in the 99th percentile in math, chemistry, and biology, the pharmacy school would know that you most definately have learned what you were supposed to in the course of your pre reqs.

Put it into perspective. Your composite is 98 %. I don't think it matters that you scored 33% in reading. If you scored in the 99th percentile in the hardest sections of the test, it is obvoius that there is nothing wrong with your reading comprehension.

Congrats, you should be very proud to have scored that well.

qwerty2 said:
VERBAL 407- 63%
Biology 455-98%
Reading 389 33%
QUAN. 495 99%
Chemistry 481 99%
Writing 3
Composite 445 98%
Chances of acceptance.

you do not have to take it again. You did very well . Congratulations !

How did you study for the chemistry? What supplements did you use?

I agree with others. I dont think you need to retake the test. Most school look at the composite score anyway.

FutureRxGal said:
An 86 is still a great score. Couple with a 4.0 GPA, I'd say you're good to go. :)

thanks futurerxgirl. i have a CS degree and i am going back to school. thanks for boosting me up. english is my second language. i hope that the pharmacy schools see this.

glitterstar said:
Hi qwerty2 where are you located in texas?
I got a 86 percentile and i have a 4.0. dont know what to say. but i have a 50 above in each section....
I am in DFW area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are good scores. :D I wouldn't take it again if I were you.

This may be a bit off topic, but I was wondering how is the COMPOSITE score calculated? It seems that Verbal and Reading scores do not affect the Composite score much?

They sum the section scores, rank the sums, and assign 1% of test takers to each percentile.

I am guessing that the distribution of reading scores for the test takers must be clumped closely together, so that a 33rd percentile score isn't really all that much lower than the other scores, in an absolute sense.

starsweet said:
Those are good scores. :D I wouldn't take it again if I were you.

This may be a bit off topic, but I was wondering how is the COMPOSITE score calculated? It seems that Verbal and Reading scores do not affect the Composite score much?
The composite score is calcualted as follows: add all your scaled scores then divide by five to get your average scaled score, then this will be compared to other examinees and will be given a percentile rank. So if your scaled score is high in on section, it will raise the average composte scaled score, hence your percentile. It does not matter which section is the highest because the composite average scaled score is unweighted.

So basically the reading doesn't count as much as, say, chemistry because people do better on the reading section as a whole, right?

chuks,

i would talk personally to an admission's rep about your situation. do those schools require the pcat? if not. you could still be in good shape.

chuks_pharmD said:
Is it possible to get into atleast 1 out of 5 colleges that i applied inTexas?? :scared: ........with 45 composite and 3.8 Cumlative GPA??? 4 months of certified pharmacy technician experience at walgreens......some volunteer work and member of 4-5 clubs...and one of them is Phi Theta Kappa......

Dean's honor list for 3 semesters in a row....and AA degree with honors..

I have been crying since yesterday over my score.....I'm really depressed and lost all my hopes to get into pharmacy program in fall 2006....

let me know what u think....please any comments are welcome :scared:

I don't honestly know how much Texas schools will weight the PCAT, but are you willing to apply to some out of state non-PCAT schools just in case? This would increase your chances and take some of the pressure off.

I'm still waiting for my scores...

Stephie

beccala33 said:
So basically the reading doesn't count as much as, say, chemistry because people do better on the reading section as a whole, right?

I had a 3.5 GPA and a 98 composite, but only a 55 in Quantitative. No pharmacy experience. I've had two acceptances already and at least one more interview. No worries. You're fine. Doing poorly in one section is not going to matter at all. A 98 is a 98. You smoked it. :thumbup:

Stephie said:
I don't honestly know how much Texas schools will weight the PCAT, but are you willing to apply to some out of state non-PCAT schools just in case? This would increase your chances and take some of the pressure off.

I'm still waiting for my scores...

Stephie

Ya....I think I will apply to Rutgers in NJ..May Be....MCPHS-Worster or Northeastern (Bouve) in MA.....I know they don't require PCAT but they are private colleges..so i 'm still thinking about it.....Rutgers does require PCAT but i don't know what's their cut-off score.....they say that "there is no floor for PCATscore"...."it will be taken in consideration with everything else"

So I don't know..I guess i'm in really bad situation... :scared: :scared: :scared:

DHG said:
I had a 3.5 GPA and a 98 composite, but only a 55 in Quantitative. No pharmacy experience. I've had two acceptances already and at least one more interview. No worries. You're fine. Doing poorly in one section is not going to matter at all. A 98 is a 98. You smoked it. :thumbup:
which schools accepted you. Do you have a degree? Where is your 3.5 GPA from?

chuks_pharmD said:
Ya....I think I will apply to Rutgers in NJ..May Be....MCPHS-Worster or Northeastern (Bouve) in MA.....I know they don't require PCAT but they are private colleges..so i 'm still thinking about it.....Rutgers does require PCAT but i don't know what's their cut-off score.....they say that "there is no floor for PCATscore"...."it will be taken in consideration with everything else"

So I don't know..I guess i'm in really bad situation... :scared: :scared: :scared:

Hey man, don't take it so hard!!!!
Texas Tech will take the Jan PCAT for regular admission & I think UT will look at it as well. With your grades and experience I'm sure you can bounce back and do well in Jan. Just take the January PCAT and don't give up!!!!
Good Luck.

chuks_pharmD said:
Is it possible to get into atleast 1 out of 5 colleges that i applied inTexas?? :scared: ........with 45 composite and 3.8 Cumlative GPA??? 4 months of certified pharmacy technician experience at walgreens......some volunteer work and member of 4-5 clubs...and one of them is Phi Theta Kappa......

I have been crying since yesterday over my score.....I'm really depressed and lost all my hopes to get into pharmacy program in fall 2006....

let me know what u think....please any comments are welcome :scared:

Why don't you apply to the California schools? They don't require PCAT.

chuks_pharmD said:

Would you consider applying to Pacific University in Oregon? I know that they don't require the PCAT.

Don't lose hope- Anything can happen between now and Fall. And plus, your GPA and EC's/work exp. sound great!

chuks_pharmD said:
Ya..I guess I need to consider CA too,.

I'm really depressed...I keep crying all day..Don't feel like eating or talking to anyone...My parents are really supporting me...but I just can't seem to hold my self together......I am losing hope each and every second..... :( :( :( :scared: :scared:
It's not the end of the road, just a bump in it. If you need to, you can always retake the test. With your GPA, I'm sure you can pull it up. I know it's hard because you feel like the people around you are disappointed, and you are disappointed. But, not everything always happens right the first time. Even the best of us have to accept that. Just stay on course and you will get where you want to go. You're capable and you know it. Keep trucking. :)

I guess you and I are in almost the same situation.I have also been crying since yesterday. I studied real hard for this PCAT and I felt good about all the sections except the reading comprehension.which also turned out to be my worst section.
The only difference between you and I is that my GPA is 3.7 and my PCAT score is 59. I'm also applying to the same 5 Texas school and have been volunteering at a private pharmacy for 2 months . A ton of other community services. I also belong to Golden Key Honor society. AA degree and National dean's list. I'm scared but I will keep my fingers cross and hope for the best. I will retake it in January. I think you can replace a score on your file even after the deadline. So don't worry, retake it in January and see what happens. I wish you the best

QUOTE=chuks_pharmD]Is it possible to get into atleast 1 out of 5 colleges that i applied inTexas?? :scared: ........with 45 composite and 3.8 Cumlative GPA??? 4 months of certified pharmacy technician experience at walgreens......some volunteer work and member of 4-5 clubs...and one of them is Phi Theta Kappa......

let me know what u think....please any comments are welcome :scared:[/QUOTE]

taken2 said:
I guess you and I are in almost the same situation.I have also been crying since yesterday. I studied real hard for this PCAT and I felt good about all the sections except the reading comprehension.which also turned out to be my worst section.
The only difference between you and I is that my GPA is 3.7 and my PCAT score is 59. I'm also applying to the same 5 Texas school and have been volunteering at a private pharmacy for 2 months . A ton of other community services. I also belong to Golden Key Honor society. AA degree and National dean's list. I'm scared but I will keep my fingers cross and hope for the best. I will retake it in January. I think you can replace a score on your file even after the deadline. So don't worry, retake it in January and see what happens. I wish you the best

Why don't you expand your applications to other schools outside TX that do not requre PCAT? The California schools do not, and neither does Pacific University. (All links can be found in the Roll Call thread in the Pre-Pharmacy forum.)

I know it's upsetting for you both, but turn this situation into something positive. Every day you spending thinking about what you did wrong is one day that could be used to move forward. Start applying to non-PCAT schools...like yesterday. ;)

qwerty2 said:
which schools accepted you. Do you have a degree? Where is your 3.5 GPA from?
I have a BFA in Photography and I just finished a BS in Biochemistry from East Tn State U. I had a lowish GPA (about 3.2) from the first degree, but pulled it up to 3.5 overall by getting mostly A's in my Biochem curriculum. I was accepted to Mercer and UT-Memphis so far. I have an interview at University of Kentucky in a few days.

hi even i am from DFW. which community college u go to? maybe i know you?
i got to UTD and collin county community college.

Unfortunately, it's too late to apply to the CA schools that use PharmCAS (the deadline was Nov.1st). Look into Touro and Loma Linda (they don't use PharmCAS).

most schools in california have closed their application cycle at this point. touro and loma linda have at least 1000 apps that they are looking at. your gpa is competitive. i would look at the university of southern nevada. don't worry, you have until january to do well on the pcat. good luck!!! :) :)