Medical How should I go about career change to premed path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering applying in this upcoming cycle (for admission in 2022). I have a BS in Chemical Engineering and have worked in chemical manufacturing for the past 7.5 years since graduating undergrad. I have had a successful career so far receiving a promotion to Senior Engineer 2yrs before being eligible and then being promoted to unit Superintendent with a team of 7 reporting directly to me. In this role, I manage the day-to-day operation of a manufacturing unit and manage budgetary components of the plant. I also took (and passed) the Principles and Practices exam for Chemical Engineering and received my Professional Engineering license in 2018. Although I have experienced many successes (and a salary that reflects it), I am largely unfulfilled in my job. I am in the least technical role in my field and I work for a commodity chemicals business which is mostly focused on cost cutting and remaining competitive – not R&D and maintaining sustainability. This is more the rule than the exception in my field (at least with a BS degree).

I have thought for many years that “if I could back…” I would start in pre-med and actually take undergrad seriously so that I could pursue a career in medicine. This was always a goal/dream for a multitude of reasons, but ventured off in engineering because it just came easier to me. Finally, with a nudge from my husband and parents, I am starting to seriously look into what it would take to pursue medicine. Obviously leaving a full-time job where I have a very clear career path in management with an upward trajectory is somewhat terrifying especially after buying a house, cars, etc., but we don’t have children and my husband has been equally successful and we could absolutely live off of 1 salary while I return to school.

My cGPA is 3.2 and my sGPA is 3.0 (only counting Bio, Chem, Math, Stat, and Physics). I have not taken the MCAT yet. My course history follows:

Gen Chem 1, lab – C, B
Gen Chem 2, lab – C, B
Phys 1 – B
Phys 2 – B
Organic Chem 1, lab – C, B
Organ Chem 2 – C
Bio 1, lab – B, A
Micro, lab – C, B
Genetics – C

Not good. I also lack Organic Chem 2 lab, both physics labs, Bio 2 lecture and lab, and Biochem to meet the course requirements for med school (the ChemE curriculum didn’t require these classes). I took all of the above classes my first 2 years of undergrad when I thought I knew everything and could wing things and make As/Bs like I did in high school. I finally learned how to pay attention and study in my last 2 years of undergrad. You can see this in my engineering GPA trajectory as well as a handful of graduate engineering courses that I have taken since graduation.

Fortunately, the med school I want to attend has a 32-hour policy which allows applicants to apply with the GPA they earn in at least 32 hours of post-bacc studies. Given, this, I am planning to retake Gen Chem 1 & 2 with the labs, Organic 1 & 2 with the labs, Bio 1 & 2 with the labs, Physics 1 & 2 with the labs, and Biochem. That will get me 35 hours of post-bacc credits and satisfy the minimum requirements for admission.

I have not taken the MCAT yet. I just ordered review material and will spend the next several months studying and taking practice exams to give me an idea of where I stand – possibly taking the exam early next year if I feel prepared. I would like to take the test before I quit my job so that I can see where I stand with a realistic expectation.

Now, for the questions:

1. Do the courses that I have proposed seem appropriate for post-bacc? I obviously need GPA remediation but I also need to refine my understanding of Organic. I also thought about cutting my losses with Gen Chem and starting my post-bacc career with Organic so I can get to Biochem faster and then fill in with other higher-level courses (retake Micro, Genetic, etc.). Obviously still need to take the labs that I am missing. Thoughts?

2. In your experience, how much does successful non-medicine careers pad applications (would obviously have a LOR from my manager)? I have virtually no ECs nor clinical hours as my job is quite demanding at 50+ hours/week. As it stands, I would quit my job to take the post-bacc courses and at the same time try to scribe or get another part-time job at a hospital to get clinical hours (all with COVID going on – easy, right?). Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

3. I would like to reach out to the Admissions department at the school I am interested in (local state school – this provides the most economic pathway for me so that my husband can stay in his current job and our living expenses remain low) however there is no specific method of doing this – should I cold call them and request a meeting? I want to do this to get my name in front of them as well as ask a few questions (namely with how the 32 hour post-bacc works with timing for applicants).

I know it’s hard to comment on much without an MCAT score, but just wanted to make sure that I am on the right path. I would like to minimize the time between quitting my job and matriculating so would rather not have a “gap year” but not sure how this 32 hour policy plays into that especially with my low GPA. I am hoping that if I start this upcoming spring and show solid performance in that and the summer semester (along with a good MCAT) ,there is a possibility for 2022 matriculation.

Thanks for any insight!
It will be foolish to throw the dice on only a single med school.

1. Do the courses that I have proposed seem appropriate for post-bacc? I obviously need GPA remediation but I also need to refine my understanding of Organic. I also thought about cutting my losses with Gen Chem and starting my post-bacc career with Organic so I can get to Biochem faster and then fill in with other higher-level courses (retake Micro, Genetic, etc.). Obviously still need to take the labs that I am missing. Thoughts?

That's fine. You can't get into med school with the bare basics, but you'll also need Biochem and some Sociology courses to do well on MCAT.

2. In your experience, how much does successful non-medicine careers pad applications (would obviously have a LOR from my manager)? I have virtually no ECs nor clinical hours as my job is quite demanding at 50+ hours/week. As it stands, I would quit my job to take the post-bacc courses and at the same time try to scribe or get another part-time job at a hospital to get clinical hours (all with COVID going on – easy, right?). Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

They make people mroe interesting and we love the wisdom and maturity that they bring. But you still have to have the required ECs (shadowing, clinical exposure and nonclinical volunteering; scribing combines the first two).

3. I would like to reach out to the Admissions department at the school I am interested in (local state school – this provides the most economic pathway for me so that my husband can stay in his current job and our living expenses remain low) however there is no specific method of doing this – should I cold call them and request a meeting? I want to do this to get my name in front of them as well as ask a few questions (namely with how the 32 hour post-bacc works with timing for applicants).

There is no "getting foot in the door." If the school hosts any sort of pre-med fairs, or the Admisisons Dean attends local pre-med fairs, be sure to do that. AAMC and AACOMAS also have online admissions sessions.

I know it’s hard to comment on much without an MCAT score, but just wanted to make sure that I am on the right path. I would like to minimize the time between quitting my job and matriculating so would rather not have a “gap year” but not sure how this 32 hour policy plays into that especially with my low GPA. I am hoping that if I start this upcoming spring and show solid performance in that and the summer semester (along with a good MCAT) ,there is a possibility for 2022 matriculation.

32 hours is doable in a single year.

Be sure to read this:

Members don't see this ad.

For your post-bac, you need to take courses other than just the retakes. The point of the post-bac is not just to raise your GPA. It also acts as a way to show ADCOM that you can do well in your courses. Retaking courses is great, but having a solid, year of courses that you haven't seen before is also needed. I am sure you will bring to the table things that students who haven't been in the workforce cannot, but you still need to get your ECs in order. This means you need to volunteer, shadow, and get some clinical experience to show that you know what you are getting into for the next (at least) 7 years of training. You most definitely need to apply to more than just that one school you are talking about. You are already an underdog, so you cannot be picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.