General How should I go about pursuing Healthcare/Hospital Administrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a senior in college pursuing a B.S. in Cell and Molecular Biology with a minor in sociology and certificate in Pre-Healthcare professions. I am pre-med but currently have been wanting to go into Hospital Administration and do something besides becoming a physician. Is it possible to pursue this career with my bachelor's degree and be able to get into a MHA or MPH program? I have read that it is possible to go into this field with my degree but just wanted to make sure; any advice/help would be appreciated!
Yes, though the credentialing for hospital management is done more often by ACHE ("Ah-chee" not "Ache" though sometimes the latter is stress-relieving). It definitely helps to get the graduate degree, but the usual advice today is to go for the MBA rather than the MPH or MHA. But more or less, to advance in hospital management, it's tied to both the hierarchy and FACHE elevation through the credentialing process.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to ask why it is better to get the MBA rather than a MPH or MHA?
Skill base is more relevant supposedly, the specialization can be taught afterwards, but MHA and definitely MPH programs have more variability than the MBA. You should consider the quant backgrounds in the MBA (finance, SCP, accounting), don't do marketing and something else that I can't recall from the discussions I have internally with recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.