Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
All right, here's the deal: got an 11V-8B-5P in August, have been waitlisted at four schools, and got news that one of those schools will accept me for the 2005 class if I increase my PS score to an 8 this April. I'm desperately busy with my 50-60 hours a week at my very intense job. I'm not worried about the verbal so much - got consistently good scores on the practice tests - but what would you say should be the break down for studying PS and BS? I'm thinkin', oh, 70/30%? Thoughts?

What I'm worried about is maybe this school won't be able to accept me after all, so I'll have to use the score for the next round of applications...so I wouldn't want it to all be crap!

OP
S

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
That was thoughtful. Too bad I live 5,000 miles away from my parents! (Or maybe not too bad...)

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
a stone's throw away from reality
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
Sarikate said:
That was thoughtful. Too bad I live 5,000 miles away from my parents! (Or maybe not too bad...)
Don't you think it would be worth it to quit your job? You're so close to medical school right now, it would behoove you to put 110% of all your energy into increasing your PS score.

OP
S

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I'm laughing because there's absolutely no way in hell I can quit my job. I'm a 25-year-old financially independent social worker who lives nearly paycheck-to-paycheck. Haven't gotten a dollar from my parents since my 18th birthday!

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Other Health Professions Student
well you know what, if you really care about your medical career then you will do what it takes to pull up that score. they are offering you a spot and all you have to do is meet the requirement. I say go for it and put your all into it, maybe you should try to go part time at work! just my .02!

OP
S

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
sistahnik said:
well you know what, if you really care about your medical career then you will do what it takes to pull up that score. they are offering you a spot and all you have to do is meet the requirement. I say go for it and put your all into it, maybe you should try to go part time at work! just my .02!
I kind of see your point...but I also have to do what it takes to keep a roof over my head and pay the bills. Check out the "working 40 hours a week and studying for the MCAT" thread here - full of stories like mine. I'm learning very well how to to budget my time carefully. I've made a schedule for myself over the past couple of days and I think it'll work out just fine.

dr1day

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
sistahnik said:

It must be nice to be young and have no concept of having to pay bills. I'm an older person (29) independent and studying for the MCAT. It's VERY difficult. Sure, I could quit my job, but then I'd be living in a cardboard box, so the admissions committees wouldn't have an address to send my acceptance letters to.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
Have you thought of refinancing your home or car if you have either? Get a line of equity through your home or simply get some cash for increasing your car payments. The latter is not a good long term solution due to the high APR, but if it allows you to enter medical school in a few short months, then I think its worth it :thumbup:

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
Sarikate said:
I'm laughing because there's absolutely no way in hell I can quit my job. I'm a 25-year-old financially independent social worker who lives nearly paycheck-to-paycheck. Haven't gotten a dollar from my parents since my 18th birthday!
I did Princeton Review on my off time. I'm active duty military. I took books with me on flights into Iraq. I missed some of the classes, but I made all of them that I could. If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way.

OP
S

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Goodness...is this the firing squad? Yes, I want this enough. Why would I have gone through the application process already if I didn't want it? My original post asked how I should split the time between physical and biological sciences. Does the fact that I work full-time indicate that I don't care about medicine? Absolutely not. It indicates that I am a regular person who doesn't have the resources available to quit my job, sell my car or home (neither of which I have anyway), and spend 12 hours a day holed up in a study carrel. After I get student loans, this will be a possibility. A necessity. But right now? Have to just suck it up. Kudos to those of you in the same position!

OP
S

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
dr1day said:
It must be nice to be young and have no concept of having to pay bills. I'm an older person (29) independent and studying for the MCAT. It's VERY difficult. Sure, I could quit my job, but then I'd be living in a cardboard box, so the admissions committees wouldn't have an address to send my acceptance letters to.
I hear you loud and clear, Dr1day.

jigglyboo

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2005
Seattle
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't quit ur job. The application process and the MCAT are already expensive already aside from everyday expenses. It's like asking the question "would u rather starve yourself for 2 months for a test or actually have food on the table?" LOTZ of RAMEN! EZMAC and totino's pizza!

Anyways, to answer your initial question... it really depends on where ur coming from. Do you have bad math skills? test taking skills? anxiety? Or just not savy w/ sciences? if it's test taking.. just practice passages as much as you can. try to get ur math skillz down...like it's 2nd nature. if ur just not savvy w/ sciences, work on content and try to get help from someone who's good at it. I'm not sure if this is the best approach, b/ it's something. I think ur ratio 70/30 is good. don't forget, physics is hard for everyone. Just try to bring up that score. GL! perserverence is key