Medical How should I handle COVID testing reprimand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for the advice.

My university has a policy that each student must get COVID tested once every 4 days. I have gotten tested regularly since the program started and have followed all covid protocols (isolation, contact tracing) rigorously until this week. I accidentally missed several scheduled tests - this has been a busy week, and I have been doing schoolwork until after the closing time at the testing center each day. As a result, I have not taken a test in 7 days.

I take full responsibility for my mistake and understand that regular testing is critical to the university and regional public health situations. I got tested today as soon as I was able. To prevent this in the future, I set up a reminder on my phone as well as a physical note in my room reminding me to check the last time I have been tested, and to keep the gap at 3 days or fewer.

Today I received an electronic communication from our student conduct office. They are issuing me a written reprimand, by their definition "a written notice that a student has violated the Code of Student Conduct and that another violation will likely result in a more severe community status". I take full responsibility for my infringement and do not plan to appeal this conduct (the letter states an appeal may result in harsher penalties). Is this considered an IA, and if I report will it be detrimental to applications? I appreciate the advice. I am waiting to hear back from a university pre-health advisor as well.

Edit: I plan on reporting per the application wording of IA unless my pre-health advisor explicitly explains why I should not. The rest of my record is clear, and I volunteer at a clinic that facilitates covid testing and recently vaccination for uninsured/underserved populations. I have been vaccinated through this function but do not believe that exempts me from testing or that the rules should apply differently to me - it does not and they should not. The situation was a slip-up on my part. I am a junior preparing to apply this cycle.
Honestly you have to talk with your school, because only they can tell you if this is going to wind up on in your records that get transmitted when you apply. But in general, yes this sounds like an IA.

Reporting may be detrimental to your applications, but not reporting and being found out would be catastrophic. As with any IA, how detrimental it will be depends on the severity of the infraction, how much time passes between the IA and your application, whether it's an isolated event or part of a larger pattern, and how strong your application would be otherwise. Totally making this up, but while I imagine this is not as bad as cheating/plagiarism, it's also not some stupid slap on the wrist that would be dismissed out of hand.

Assuming you have to report this, please leave all of the excuses you gave here out of it. The more you say, the worse it comes off--at the end of the day, there is no excuse and you're not the only one who has to factor getting testing into your schedule. Say you made a mistake, you owned and learned from it, you took the steps listed here to prevent it from happening in the future, and it hasn't recurred.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, my apologies for sounding like anything was an excuse (the busy week was an explanation but no excuse). I take full responsibility and have proactively done things to prevent this in the future.

When reporting, it will be something like this (last sentence pending for when I apply):

I received a written reprimand in March for a student conduct violation of my university COVID policy. Our policy requires testing every 4 days and I did not get tested for 7 days. It was my mistake and my responsibility to the university and the local community, especially as an aspiring healthcare provider. I set up written and digital reminders to prevent this from happening again. It has not happened since.
Just make it even shorter. No need to pontificate.

Ok, how is this? Thank you for the advice and replies.

I received a reprimand in March for a violation of my university COVID policy. Our policy requires testing every 4 days and I did not get tested for 7 days. It was my mistake and my responsibility to get tested. I set up daily reminders to prevent this from happening again. It has not happened since.
You missed that I had edited your original statement to basically what you posted the second time :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To be clear—it’s really unfortunate this happened right before apps open, as you have no opportunity to prove you’re a model citizen going forward. Like I said, I don’t think by itself this would be fatal, but it’s also not nothing and it makes you stand out in a bad way. I suspect if you’re a rockstar otherwise, someone will overlook this. If you’re otherwise pretty average in a sea of average applicants who don’t have this red mark, it’s an easy reason to pass you over for someone else.

Not that you do anything differently. I’m sure you won’t be the only person with a Mark like this, but it’s hard to predict how much this is going to hurt you. but bottom line, if you weren’t already doing so, you should definitely consider your plan B in case this year doesn’t go the way you’re hoping for.

I agree, so far I have decided to add more schools to my list and have already been thinking about possible gap year jobs and activities - I enjoy volunteering and was going to continue it until I matriculate anyway. Would appreciate any other suggestions.

I also found out that at my university a reprimand is not included in my conduct report if an external party requests the information (including myself). It is also not on my transcript. I still think I should report (I should, right?) but do you think this will make it slightly less of a standout?

Again, I appreciate your advice and welcome any others' as well.
I honestly would do whatever your school says. If your school doesn't consider this to be an institutional action (ie, if this is the equivalent of a "warning"), then there is no reason to fall on your sword. But you need to be sure, because again, if it turns out that it is indeed transmitted and you don't disclose, then you're in trouble.
Update: I met with a prehealth committee member and communicated with the department of student conduct. This reprimand will serve as an internal warning and they confirmed it will not be transmitted to any requesting parties (such as graduate schools) nor appear on my transcript. So it does not look like it (according to them) counts as a reportable IA.

I feel very fortunate that this is the case but still, it was my mistake and I definitely learned something. I appreciate your advice and replies @GoSpursGo ! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.