Medical How should I handle trouble with committee letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a tough question about what to do about a committee letter. My school usually doesn't do the committee letter interview until middle September and the letters themselves come out late September. My undergraduate school does this because the local state medical school doesn't use rolling admission. However, since I have highish stats I requested that I do my interview in May in order to get my committee letter early so I can apply early. I had to fight for the early interview but I eventually got it in May. I have been in contact with the letter writer all summer(both in person and in email) and she keeps telling me that the letter will "be done soon". I completed all my secondaries around August first, but as of this post, my letter is still MIA. Should I contact someone higher up the food chain or should I just wait it out? I applied early and I feel as though my committee is holding me back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry about it. Admissions committees are well aware that many schools have different timelines. They don't really need your references for screening usually, but they do want it after your interviews before decisions are made. Don't pester your letter-writer but be thankful and appreciative. It takes a long time to write a letter properly before your prehealth committee approves it to be delivered.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's not reassuring when you've strategized so well to stay on top of the typical timeline, but committee letters generally arrive in the first part of fall (after 9/23) and med schools are accustomed to this timing. Nagging is likely to result in either resentment or a rushed product that is less than optimal. So wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.