Medical How should I list a new position in AMCAS activities that I'll start the day I submit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got confirmed to volunteer as a Crisis Text Counselor and my training would start on June 11 (next week Thursday). I will be completing a 2 week training before I start engaging in conversations aiming to provide individuals with emotional support during these unprecedented times.
My question is: Can I list this as one of my AMCAS activities if I plan to submit my AMCAS application on June 11 even though I will not have completed with my training yet? I will be completing 200 hours by the end of this year but I am not sure if I could list this as my activity since I will still be in training (not engaging in conversations yet) by the time I submit my application. Thank you so much for any feedback!
You probably could submit your application on June 11 with no worries, but why not just submit your application on June 12 so that you will have started your training and fully know your job responsibilities? You don't need to mention that you are in training; you can simply mention that you have started a new position as a crisis text counselor and describe your position. Everyone goes through training, and training is part of the job. If you know your job description, you can describe what you will be doing by saying "In my position, my responsibilities are X, Y, and Z." You can talk more about the experience when you get an interview, and by then you will have been in the job long enough to speak intelligently about your experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you suggest putting the end date as August of 2021 along with the expected hours of commitment? Thank you!

I think that works. Objective is to let them know this is an ongoing activity and then be able to explain the hours and your work in an interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.