Medical How should I move forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a few questions. I interviewed at one of my state schools last year and was waitlisted and ultimately was not admitted. I recently retook my MCAT (3rd attempt: 495 124, 123, 124, 124) and scored lower than my second attempt (502: 124, 128, 122, 128) My first attempt was a 487: (121, 122, 121, 123). I freaked out on exam day and don't know how I performed so badly. I had major anxiety because I felt like my entire application and success was dependent on my score. Up to my tests I had scored a 508 and 509 on AAMC sample test and AAMC test 4. I also completed all of the AAMC materials including the section banks/q packs/etc (other than tests 1-3 because I used them last time I took the MCAT). I finished most of UEarth except the CARS section. I also was using the Miles down anki somewhat consistently leading up to my test.

I am currently at a loss for my next steps moving forward. I finished a Master's in Microbiology last year and received 3.865 gpa. My undergraduate BCPM was a 3.4 and my cumulative undergraduate GPA is a 3.65. I live in a state that has somewhat lower average MCAT scores for allopathic schools compared to the rest of the country but I am afraid that I messed up my chances here. I have at least 1,000 hours of scribing experience. I have volunteer EMT experience/tutoring experience/volunteer at law firm/volunteer at a school/volunteering at a children's hospital.

I feel like all my hard work has now gone to waste because of my 3rd MCAT score. I don't know what to do moving forward and could really use some advice. I feel like I am extremely burnt out and need some advice on what to do next as I feel like I have dedicated so much time, energy, and money into this and not received the results I wanted.

I currently have only applied to my state schools and am in the process of applying to DO schools but I would like some advice going forward.

Thank you
for starters you need to get your anxiety issues under control. Medical school is a furnace and breaks even healthy students.

With a broad application, you should have some luck with DO schools. You still have time to apply now, because the DO cycle is longer.

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with the above. In medical school, you have "high stakes" exams multiple times a month. By high stakes, I mean that if you fail them, you could be kicked out of medical school. You also have 3-6 national board exams you have to pass and do well on if you want to match into something competitive. Getting your testing anxiety under control will help a ton.

If you apply to DO and apply broad, you may have success. Try applying to some of the newer DO schools as well. With your MCAT Idk how many interviews you will get, but you can't be picky till you get multiple.

Ultimately, if you want to go to medical school, your MCAT is unlikely to cut it for DO schools and almost certainly an application killer at MD schools. I recommend figuring out some way to tackle your anxiety and ultimately taking the test again.

You have a strong masters GPA. It's not the end of the world of you don't go to medical school. If you find no meaning in any of the volunteer and clinical experiences if you weren't going into medicine, then maybe medicine is not your calling. It's not for everyone and the stress does not make it wonderful for everyone who does make it.

I agree with the above--if you are not already seeking professional help for your anxiety, it's time to stop trying to boot-strap through it and really address what has been holding you back on your exam prep.

If you have already addressed your anxiety issues, then a broad DO application is likely your best bet at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.