Medical How should I report my ethnicity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be overthinking this, but I have a quick question about self-reporting ethnicity. My dad is entirely caucasian and my mother is half Indian (the country) and half black (her father is from the Caribbean). Under the self-identification portion of AMCAS I have selected white, asian (Indian) and black (Afro-Caribbean).

My whole life people have been shocked when I tell them my ethnic composition because I look very white. In fact, I have started carrying a picture of my grandparents to show people so they know I'm telling the truth. I am worried that when interviewing at schools (or even just sending in a headshot), the adcom will suspect I am lying about my ethnicity to help my chances. If this were the case, would they ask me to explain why I marked the Asian and black boxes? Or would they be hesitant to address the topic and just assume I'm lying?

Again I may be overthinking this, but it has been weighing on me for a while and I'd love someone else's thoughts on the topic. Thanks!
What do YOU identify as???

Members don't see this ad.

If you self-identify as all three, click all three. If anyone asks you, be honest with your story about why or what circumstances you identify with each. You can't control others' thoughts, but giving people a sense of why (or even a sense of why you sometimes are confused) is all you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.