How Should I spend My Gap Year: Clinical Trial Assistant vs Clinical Laboratory Technologist

Dec 3, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello friends, this is my first time posting on an online forum lol but I've gotten offers for entry-level positions in two similar but really different industries and I was hoping I could get some advice on which would seem better in the long run for med school applications. A little background about myself, I graduated with a degree in biochemistry, and in terms of health care experiences I was an EMT for a summer and I've been a Medical Scribe for a year and a half now. I think getting into the field of clinical research as a CTA would be super fascinating and there's a lot of routes for growth in the field before I return to medicine like moving up to be a clinical research coordinator. I figure that this would be a good way to make up for my lack of research experience while also still having interactions with patients. On the other hand, I think I kind of lucked out on this CLT (also called MLT I think) opportunity because from my understanding you typically need to be certified for a job like that and sometimes even have an associate's in medical lab sciences. This company was open to training me for the position with the one caveat being that I start at a lower pay which I'm totally fine with since I can negotiate for more later and I'm mainly in it for the experience. This position is obviously more technical and the work itself seems pretty gratifying since it plays an important part when diagnosing patients. There's no real patient interaction in this position but I'm wondering if I really need more since I've had a lot as an EMT and scribe. I plan on applying to med school for the next cycle so that would give me 6 months of one of these new experiences before I submit an application in June. I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who is familiar with both these industries or even anyone who has experience in any one of them. Thank you!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads