How should I start studying again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT on September 10 2016, and I had gotten a score that I did not like which was:

502 (126-124-126-126)

I am now highly considering retaking my MCAT, and I just want to know where to begin, or how I can start improving.

These are the study materials I have used in the past:

1. The Berkeley Review Classroom Instruction
2. The Berkeley Review Book Set
3. ExamKrackers Review Book Set
4. Kaplan Review Book Set
5. The Berkeley Review FLs 1-4
6. ExamKrackers FLs 1-4
7. AAMC FL Practice
8. AAMC FL
9. ExamKrackers Verbal Reasoning

I did the classroom instruction from June to about the beginning of August, reviewed each day for about 6-8 hours for about six days a week...and the last month of studying, I began doing FL tests on Sundays, and then reviewing throughout the week and trying to pinpoint my mistakes. I am hoping to score in the 510 range, but I want to know how I should proceed. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do the same thing and expect different results.
Get one of the MCAT schedules from SDN and follow it.

4. Kaplan Review Book Set
5. The Berkeley Review FLs 1-4
6. ExamKrackers FLs 1-4

Re-review content using TBR (most detailed of all the commercial material available)
Replace #4 with PR material/Use Khan Academy also
Replace #5 and #6 with NextStep or Altius Exams

9. ExamKrackers Verbal Reasoning

Replace #9 with Testing Solutions

GL!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Highly recommend reviewing this thread. Helped me improve from 504 --> 510 (122 --> 126 CARS)

509+ MCAT Study Habits

Agree w/ the above poster... Doing the same thing and expecting different results = insanity

Highly recommend reviewing this thread. Helped me improve from 504 --> 510 (122 --> 126 CARS)

509+ MCAT Study Habits

Agree w/ the above poster... Doing the same thing and expecting different results = insanity

Thank you! I am going to start my second battle against this beast. If you don't mind me asking, did anyone give you issues about taking the MCAT again? I heard that there is a certain stigma against people who retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I am going to start my second battle against this beast. If you don't mind me asking, did anyone give you issues about taking the MCAT again? I heard that there is a certain stigma against people who retake the MCAT.

I will be applying to US medical schools May 2018 - so I can't give you a crystal clear answer.

To my understanding, 2 takes is not terrible. As you know, more takes = riskier.
Of course there have been students who have taken the MCAT 3, 4, and maybe even 5 times who have earned acceptances. Statistics don't favor these applications.

However, if you scored a 502 and could at least, increase this to 508/509... I think a re-take would be extremely beneficial.

My advice - DO NOT retake unless you are 100% sure you can top your first score. If not... then I would advise against re-taking. Determining whether or not you you can top your score should be evaluated based on practice exams.

I will be applying to US medical schools May 2018 - so I can't give you a crystal clear answer.

To my understanding, 2 takes is not terrible. As you know, more takes = riskier.
Of course there have been students who have taken the MCAT 3, 4, and maybe even 5 times who have earned acceptances. Statistics don't favor these applications.

However, if you scored a 502 and could at least, increase this to 508/509... I think a re-take would be extremely beneficial.

My advice - DO NOT retake unless you are 100% sure you can top your first score. If not... then I would advise against re-taking. Determining whether or not you you can top your score should be evaluated based on practice exams.

I understand. I'm sure it's very possible to increase my score, but I need to change my approach. The link you posted is really helpful, and I will try to implement that studying strategy.

I understand. I'm sure it's very possible to increase my score, but I need to change my approach. The link you posted is really helpful, and I will try to implement that studying strategy.

Definitely - keep track of your statistics (e.g. how many questions you get right/wrong). This will allow you to closely monitor progress and ensure you are moving in the right direction.

Definitely - keep track of your statistics (e.g. how many questions you get right/wrong). This will allow you to closely monitor progress and ensure you are moving in the right direction.

I am using ExamKrackers to do content review, and I'm not sure how much of the information I really have to memorize. I remember using TBR last time, and that had a LOT of detail. So far, I have been doing the Chemistry section and have gotten to section 1.5, and section 2.6 in the Biology section while trying to do at least 3 passages of CARS a day.

I am planning to average at least 45 hours per week of studying.

Don't do the same thing and expect different results.
Get one of the MCAT schedules from SDN and follow it.

Re-review content using TBR (most detailed of all the commercial material available)
Replace #4 with PR material/Use Khan Academy also
Replace #5 and #6 with NextStep or Altius Exams

Replace #9 with Testing Solutions

GL!!!!!

What do you think of TPR's CARS book or Next Step's CARS book?

I am using ExamKrackers to do content review, and I'm not sure how much of the information I really have to memorize. I remember using TBR last time, and that had a LOT of detail. So far, I have been doing the Chemistry section and have gotten to section 1.5, and section 2.6 in the Biology section while trying to do at least 3 passages of CARS a day.

I am planning to average at least 45 hours per week of studying.

Honestly... try to memorize as much as possible, especially w/ EK review. TBR goes into the most detail, often too much detail.
Keep up the CARS practice. That is solid way to practice. Make sure you are timing yourself w/ you 3 passages.
W/ regards to the CARS material - I highly recommend a combination of NS108 and the EK verbal textbook. Testing solutions isn't bad, but I would recommend NS and EK beforehand. Although testing solutions provides lots of practice and is cheap... there were mistakes.

Honestly... try to memorize as much as possible, especially w/ EK review. TBR goes into the most detail, often too much detail.
Keep up the CARS practice. That is solid way to practice. Make sure you are timing yourself w/ you 3 passages.
W/ regards to the CARS material - I highly recommend a combination of NS108 and the EK verbal textbook. Testing solutions isn't bad, but I would recommend NS and EK beforehand. Although testing solutions provides lots of practice and is cheap... there were mistakes.

I just got a new Next Step CARS book, and here is the ISBN: 978-1502801159

Is this the book you were talking about?

What do you guys think of Jack Westin's CARS passages? I like the interface because it is pretty much identical to AAMC, but what do you guys think of the content? I have been doing a lot of passages and have been seeing an improvement because I am ACTUALLY using the highlighting feature.

I just got a new Next Step CARS book, and here is the ISBN: 978-1502801159

Is this the book you were talking about?

Sorry for not seeing your prior post - yes, I believe that is the correct NS108 text.

JW's CARS passages are useful for working on "reading skills". If I recall correctly, there are no questions associated w/ these passages. Just my opinion, but I think its a better allocation of your time to focus on passages w/ questions. Reading skills are important, but actually applying what you retained to questions is a different skill. Get the most out of your practice time. The MCAT will be asking questions... not just asking you to read passages

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people are giving really good advice so I will reserve my opinions about books and courses to use and take but I felt the need to mention that practice tests are crazy beneficial in preparing for the test! So many people think that if they can memorize all the science in the world that they will do well on the test. I think it is more important to know how to TAKE the exam. Train for the real thing by using all the practice resources available. Any book series will have practice questions. I believe there are some short length official MCAT practice exams and maybe a few full length - spend the money on any official ones and use those as benchmarks. Simulate the test environment (time of day, physical environment, etc) and then see how you do. Use the ones from commercial companies as practice in between.

I am so embarrassed! For years, I refused to use a highlighter in books.

So when I started using the highlighter on Jack Westin's CARS passages, I started doing better.

The moment I faced my fear and highlighted in my Examkrackers Verbal Reasoning book, my grasp of CARS improved dramatically with timing and ability to minimize wrong answers.

I can't believe this...

I am so embarrassed! For years, I refused to use a highlighter in books.

So when I started using the highlighter on Jack Westin's CARS passages, I started doing better.

The moment I faced my fear and highlighted in my Examkrackers Verbal Reasoning book, my grasp of CARS improved dramatically with timing and ability to minimize wrong answers.

I can't believe this...
Just be glad that that was all you had to do lol

With a low CARS, I would think that improving your CARS is top priority. Being able to improve your reading speed and comprehension will spillover into the other subject tests, so you will find that your other scores may get a 1-2 pt bump as well.

There is a lot of sound advice above, just make sure you utilize all of the AAMC resources.

With a low CARS, I would think that improving your CARS is top priority. Being able to improve your reading speed and comprehension will spillover into the other subject tests, so you will find that your other scores may get a 1-2 pt bump as well.

There is a lot of sound advice above, just make sure you utilize all of the AAMC resources.

My CARS has been improving...it's so surreal. I can't believe all I had to do was learn how to use the highlighter effectively. Now I have more time to think about questions, and can read the passages in 4 minutes, and give myself 6 minutes to answer questions. I have been doing good on EK Verbal Reasoning, Jack Westin's CARS passages, and NextStep CARS.

I went from getting 3/7 or 4/7 each passage to 6/7 and 7/7 on each passage.

Reactions: 1 users
My CARS has been improving...it's so surreal. I can't believe all I had to do was learn how to use the highlighter effectively. Now I have more time to think about questions, and can read the passages in 4 minutes, and give myself 6 minutes to answer questions. I have been doing good on EK Verbal Reasoning, Jack Westin's CARS passages, and NextStep CARS.

I went from getting 3/7 or 4/7 each passage to 6/7 and 7/7 on each passage.

Glad to hear - don't let up. Keep attacking those passages daily. CARS confidence is key.

Hey guys,

So I have been doing CARS every single day (at least 4-5 passages a day in the EK book), and I started doing really well after employing the highlighter. However, I am starting to plateau and not do as well as I was doing earlier in the book. Any suggestions? I am getting REALLY frustrated again.

Thank you!

Hey guys,

So I have been doing CARS every single day (at least 4-5 passages a day in the EK book), and I started doing really well after employing the highlighter. However, I am starting to plateau and not do as well as I was doing earlier in the book. Any suggestions? I am getting REALLY frustrated again.

Thank you!
Your sig says you got accepted.. why are you studying for the MCAT lol