How Should I study for Verbal Reasoning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumber007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did really bad on the Verbal Reasoning section when I last took it in July 2013. While practicing, I do understand what the passage is trying to say, but I get confused and overthink when it comes down to choosing the correct answer. Though I have a feeling there is a pattern for choosing the correct answers. I think that there are some rules if followed leads you to the right answer regardless of the type of passage. Can anyone share what do they do to cross out the wrong answers? I am planning on retaking them next month. Just for the record I got a 3 on VR.

Members don't see this ad.

I did really bad on the Verbal Reasoning section when I last took it in July 2013. While practicing, I do understand what the passage is trying to say, but I get confused and overthink when it comes down to choosing the correct answer. Though I have a feeling there is a pattern for choosing the correct answers. I think that there are some rules if followed leads you to the right answer regardless of the type of passage. Can anyone share what do they do to cross out the wrong answers? I am planning on retaking them next month. Just for the record I got a 3 on VR.
Dude, if you're likely to score around a 3 on VR again next month, don't you think it would be a good idea to postpone? Even if you score in the 99th percentile (14) on the other two sections, you are only at a total score of 31; I don't even know if that is the average score for a matriculant. I personally would (if I were you) postpone your MCAT until next year, and become an avid reader of challenging books/literature until then. It seems you need to work on your English skills...

Read anything. Of all the MCAT prep stuff, VR was useless and the rest was pretty helpful. In fact, the science passages are just as good for preparing for VR. Pick up a fantasy novel or something and get at it. Read the newspaper at work. Read your class assignments. Just read everything you can.

Dude, if you're likely to score around a 3 on VR again next month, don't you think it would be a good idea to postpone? Even if you score in the 99th percentile (14) on the other two sections, you are only at a total score of 31; I don't even know if that is the average score for a matriculant. I personally would (if I were you) postpone your MCAT until next year, and become an avid reader of challenging books/literature until then. It seems you need to work on your English skills...

I haven't really worked on verbal passages yet. But I have been reading news articles on Google news and reading BS and PS review materials since December. I decided to work on verbal passages from March 24-April 15 and then take practice tests from April 15-24 (the day I'm planning to take MCATs) I don't mind postponing it for few more months. I am ready for the sciences. By when do you think I should be done sending the primary application through AMCAS to medical schools? I want to apply after I receive my MCAT scores. So, I'll take MCATs accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't really worked on verbal passages yet. But I have been reading news articles on Google news and reading BS and PS review materials since December. I decided to work on verbal passages from March 24-April 15 and then take practice tests from April 15-24 (the day I'm planning to take MCATs) I don't mind postponing it for few more months. I am ready for the sciences. By when do you think I should be done sending the primary application through AMCAS to medical schools? I want to apply after I receive my MCAT scores. So, I'll take MCATs accordingly.
That's great that you've already taken the initiative to start reading more. Might I suggest reading even more sophisticated articles than the ones on Google News? A lot of people (it seems you are interested in news/public affairs) recommend The Economist magazine.

Also, I am sorry, but I can not make useful comments as far as your actual application process goes - having never gone through the process myself, I would be a fool to try to act as an expert.

Reactions: 1 user
That's great that you've already taken the initiative to start reading more. Might I suggest reading even more sophisticated articles than the ones on Google News? A lot of people (it seems you are interested in news/public affairs) recommend The Economist magazine.

Also, I am sorry, but I can not make useful comments as far as your actual application process goes - having never gone through the process myself, I would be a fool to try to act as an expert.
haha..I guess I'll wait. I did actually start reading the Economist since a week. But I guess I'll post another thread on when should I be considering to submit my primary application because I want this thread to be more about VR tactics. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user