How soon after being complete is it okay to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisIsYourLife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
write a letter of interest/intent?

i have not heard back from my number 1 school.. I wanted to send them an update of interest, but i have had no new activities or anything since i sent the secondary. How soon do I send a letter of interest? Or, do I send a letter of intent? Are those the same? Or is one for after interview and one is before you've received anything?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

im confused, are u saying that you can send a letter of intent before even getting accepted? that sounds a little desperate.

im confused, are u saying that you can send a letter of intent before even getting accepted? that sounds a little desperate.

i am not sure.. thats why im asking.. i heard of some people sending a letter of interest before even getting an interview.. so yeah.. what about it people???

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of have the same question. You definitely send a letter of intent before you get accepted though. Once you're accepted the only thing you need to send in is your deposit. :smuggrin:

has anyone actually done this?....anyone?.... anyone?

Bueller?...... Bueller?

I think LOI are typically sent if you are on a waitlist of some sort. Well, at least that's what I read in another thread and it makes sense. The adcoms are already inundated with information so if everyone wrote a LOI at each stage it'd be too much.

write a letter of interest/intent?

i have not heard back from my number 1 school.. I wanted to send them an update of interest, but i have had no new activities or anything since i sent the secondary. How soon do I send a letter of interest? Or, do I send a letter of intent? Are those the same? Or is one for after interview and one is before you've received anything?

Thanks!

If you are not on a "wait list", I'd simply send an admissions counselor an update via e-mail expressing your desire to move to the next stage of the process. Specify that you'd like the e-mail included with your file. I've done this on a couple of occasions and the counselors did not mind.

I'm fairly certain about an official LOI because I've sent one to a school or two; LOI should only be sent after you have interviewed and are on a waitlist - you know, to show you have that "extra initiative".

If you are not on a "wait list", I'd simply send an admissions counselor an update via e-mail expressing your desire to move to the next stage of the process. Specify that you'd like the e-mail included with your file. I've done this on a couple of occasions and the counselors did not mind.

I'm fairly certain about an official LOI because I've sent one to a school or two; LOI should only be sent after you have interviewed and are on a waitlist - you know, to show you have that "extra initiative".

If Gassy says it, then it is true. No doubt.

if i am rejected on whatever premise, am i allowed to write a letter of intent to attempt to appeal the decision? just curious.

if i am rejected on whatever premise, am i allowed to write a letter of intent to attempt to appeal the decision? just curious.

I am not sure if you can write a letter of appeal but some schools offer rejected students the opportunity to come in and speak with an admissions counselor. On the other hand, I did write LOIs to my top 5 schools both allo and osteo. During my PCOM interview, the interviewer did refer to it and said that she appreciated the letter (I had addressed to the director of admissions). For the other schools, I got rejected by 1 that I wrote to, and haven't heard or am on hold at the other ones. Even after being put on hold, my advisor recommended that I send an LOI and then keep following up with new updates about grades or my jobs. I have always been told that it can't hurt you but bombarding them with letters isn't appropriate either. I would say, send the letter that top choice to reiterate your interest and that you hope to speak with them about what you can bring to their school via an interview. Good luck!!