How soon can you leave a new job without burning professional bridges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeor1006

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states. I just started a new job at a local AMC and quickly realized it was not what I anticipated. The contract states I have to give 2 month's notice, which I am fine with. My question is, how soon can I give the 2-month notice without burning professional bridges?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long have you been at the job? If it's been less than a month or two, as a future employer I'd certainly question your not sticking it out longer. Absent some sort of fraudulent/illegal practice or "bait-and-switch" (e.g., hired to work with/in a specific population/location/format/etc.) where you show up on first day the job is DRASTICALLY different than what you were contracted to do, I'd be a bit wary. If the issue is something like different supervisor, small change in billable requirements, not the same office you expected I'd be very concerned about hiring you. In either case, have you built up some "capital" along the lines of a history of extended employment elsewhere? If you are early career, without a good work history, and it's only been a few weeks at this position (and no clear "bait and switch situation), I'm thinking along the lines of you being a bit impulsive or someone who didn't do their due diligence before accepting the offer. That may be TOTALLY off base, but a lot of time, energy, and money goes into onboarding clinical staff at a large operation such as an AMC, with multiple departments (HR, Clinical, Medical, Credentialing) involved. I'd be wary of taking that risk with you without a very compelling reason.

On the other hand, if you stick it out six-months to year and tell me in your interview that you knew clearly on day one that the position was not a good match but you hung around out of courtesy for the employer/clients/etc., then I'm more likely to be impressed with professionalism.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In what way was it not anticipated? How small is your area of practice?

I have been with this AMC for a couple of months. Without giving away too much information, both the scope and setup were portrayed very differently during the interviews. I was under the impression that I would get to work with a medical dx population that I feel very passionate about, help with admin stuff that is related to training, make my own schedule (within reason), and work from home as long as I show up for in-person sessions and meetings. Well, none of these was true. I still enjoy some aspects of my job, and it pays well enough that I am not dying to quit. I just think there are better fit out there for me.

How long have you been at the job? If it's been less than a month or two, as a future employer I'd certainly question your not sticking it out longer. Absent some sort of fraudulent/illegal practice or "bait-and-switch" (e.g., hired to work with/in a specific population/location/format/etc.) where you show up on first day the job is DRASTICALLY different than what you were contracted to do, I'd be a bit wary. If the issue is something like different supervisor, small change in billable requirements, not the same office you expected I'd be very concerned about hiring you. In either case, have you built up some "capital" along the lines of a history of extended employment elsewhere? If you are early career, without a good work history, and it's only been a few weeks at this position (and no clear "bait and switch situation), I'm thinking along the lines of you being a bit impulsive or someone who didn't do their due diligence before accepting the offer. That may be TOTALLY off base, but a lot of time, energy, and money goes into onboarding clinical staff at a large operation such as an AMC, with multiple departments (HR, Clinical, Medical, Credentialing) involved. I'd be wary of taking that risk with you without a very compelling reason.

On the other hand, if you stick it out six-months to year and tell me in your interview that you knew clearly on day one that the position was not a good match but you hung around out of courtesy for the employer/clients/etc., then I'm more likely to be impressed with professionalism.
Thanks!

I have been with this AMC for a couple of months. Without giving away too much information, both the scope and setup were portrayed very differently during the interviews. I was under the impression that I would get to work with a medical dx population that I feel very passionate about, help with admin stuff that is related to training, make my own schedule (within reason), and work from home as long as I show up for in-person sessions and meetings. Well, none of these was true. I still enjoy some aspects of my job, and it pays well enough that I am not dying to quit. I just think there are better fit out there for me.

I guess it depends on if you want to stay in the area, or are open to moving anywhere. If you want to stay, you could simply wait around until something desirable opens up and jump then. Though, if teh basic job where you are at is good, I would first try to see if they can accommodate my wishes first, and at least when you go, you can reference that if you get an exit interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess it depends on if you want to stay in the area, or are open to moving anywhere. If you want to stay, you could simply wait around until something desirable opens up and jump then. Though, if teh basic job where you are at is good, I would first try to see if they can accommodate my wishes first, and at least when you go, you can reference that if you get an exit interview.
This is probably what my approach would be. I'd stick around until I potentially found something better, or was able to work with the employer to better match the position to interests and what was initially described.

Reactions: 1 users
Absent some sort of fraudulent/illegal practice or "bait-and-switch" (e.g., hired to work with/in a specific population/location/format/etc.) where you show up on first day the job is DRASTICALLY different than what you were contracted to do, I'd be a bit wary

This would be the only way in which it would be ok i think. I've seen this a few times over the last 10ish years and each time it was justified as the employer straight up lied to them about the job. Other than that you're gonna look sketch.

Reactions: 1 users
Although to respond to the question of how long is long enough...I'm not really sure. I'd say <6 months is probably too short in many/most people's eyes barring the complete bait-and-switch referenced. And <1 year may be seen as short unless there's some sort of semi-extenuating circumstance.

To be fair, I just pulled those numbers out of thin air. Others very well may disagree.

Having been in a similar situation recently, I can empathize! I don't know if it's possible to not burn bridges after you leave that soon after starting a job, especially if you haven't attempted to work things out with your current employer first. Maybe there are things that can be done to rectify the situation?

In my personal experience, there are plenty of jobs out there and employers who weren't overly phased by a short stint at a previous position. They will ask about why you're leaving after a short period of time, so just be prepared to answer that question if you do decide to apply elsewhere. I would just be careful to make sure you're not getting yourself into a similar situation with a new job though.

From my perspective the work from home and managing your own schedule problems would be more concerning for future employees. Makes me suspect that the individual isn’t productive or flexible enough for what my organization might need as opposed to what they need personally. I second clinical ABAs advice and I am pretty sure they have hired and managed even more people than I have. Always good to listen to the people that actually do the hiring. On a related note, I have always found it quite amusing when students are asking about what is important to get into doctoral programs and then argue with the posters here who actually make those decisions.

I will add this, more important than how long you stay at this job is how well you vet the next job. One six month stint on a resume is not a big deal. Especially if the next line of the resume is a few years. However, if there are two short stints, you look like an employee that is difficult/hard to please and not a team player. So, take your time. Anywhere you apply now will know that you are unhappy because why else would you be applying for a job. Just learn from it and make sure the next move is the right one.

Reactions: 7 users
I have a genuine question (ignorance),

How is your future employer going to "find out" about this, unless your previous employer acts maliciously and stalks you? It's not like there is a huge gap in your resume presently, just remove this entry from your linkedin?

I guess I'm unfamiliar with the organization, or if you have patients already and can't just quit ethically.

I have a genuine question (ignorance),

How is your future employer going to "find out" about this, unless your previous employer acts maliciously and stalks you? It's not like there is a huge gap in your resume presently, just remove this entry from your linkedin?

I guess I'm unfamiliar with the organization, or if you have patients already and can't just quit ethically.

Because when you file for credentialing with your new organization, you have to list every clinical position that you have ever held, so they can easily find out about it, or you can break the law.

I will add this, more important than how long you stay at this job is how well you vet the next job. One six month stint on a resume is not a big deal. Especially if the next line of the resume is a few years. However, if there are two short stints, you look like an employee that is difficult/hard to please and not a team player. So, take your time. Anywhere you apply now will know that you are unhappy because why else would you be applying for a job. Just learn from it and make sure the next move is the right one.
This is solid advice. Over a year ago Sanman gave me some great advice and tips when faced with a similar proposition.