1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

how soon for LOI?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by novangel81, May 3, 2004.

1. novangel81

novangel81 cali for life....I HOPE??
    5+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I am super interested in going to Drew/UCLA, but I only interviewed about 3 weeks ago. When would you guys say is the earliest to send a letter of intent?

If anyone knows anything please let me know cause I don't want to miss out at all on getting into this school!

Thanks! Peace!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Generally people say after your interview or waitlist. So send it now.

4. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

yuppp. ASAP would be ideal.

5. Lochmoor

Lochmoor Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree send ASAP since May 15 is coming up.

6. Send it ASAP, a first choice is a first choice. No need to wait to see if you are waitlisted this late in the game.

7. novangel81

novangel81 cali for life....I HOPE??
    5+ Year Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I will get right on it and send it out this week. So do you think there is something specific it needs to say besides "if accepted, i will attend your institution,..blah blah blah". I guess I need some help since I have never done that before. Let me know okay?

Hopefully I do not sounds ******ed, guess I just want it to be perfect.

Peace

I'm OUT!!!!!!

8. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

well you can reiterate why you match the drew mission. look at your secondary for a guide. you can include some of your activities with the underserved. and say something like drew is your bottom line.

good luck.

9. brats800

brats800 cheesehead
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    is a letter of intent, telling them the whole 'if i get accepted i will attend your institution, blah blah blah'....is that binding? like if you get accepted after sending a LOI, do you HAVE to go there?

10. Its morally binding but not legally. They aren't going to make a big deal out of it, I would guess, if you didn't come through as they have a huge list of other people begging to get in I'm sure... but if they wanted to make a big deal out of it, they certainly could... They could call the Dean of the school you do plan to attend and bitch and that would not be fun. The Dean, depending on how much he/she likes you, could theoretically rescind your acceptance.

Oh the whole, I feel that they see so many of these that it doesn't really matter. You either send one to show STRONG interest or you send something else to show some interest and that may or may not factor in to admissions. I've heard that they are taken very seriously at Columbia and Cornell though, and probably any school with an unranked list.

11. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

eraserhead- does unranked list mean you are put on the waitlist in the order of interview completions. That is, if I finished my interview before another student, I would get an alternate spot first.

12. Unranked means there is a pile of files that comprise the waitlist, and they supposedly review them as spots open up without prioritizing based on when people interviewed or anything. Some people think admissions is lying about some of this though.

13. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

ahh, very interesting...thanks for the clarification :)