How Soon to Update a School With LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillipsmurfy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I was sadly waitlisted post-interview at my top choice school today. The school told me that they accept and even encourage letters of interest. How soon should I send an LOI? Would this weekend be too soon?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are on WL, likely with no movement until January, so timing for letter of interest (as opposed to intent) is interesting question. Will you possibly have any updates? Grades at end of term? Can you word it saying something along the lines "while I have applied to several schools you are my top choice" then express why specifically with specific evidence from your application and/or interview?

Too close to Thanksgiving seems could be lost in holiday rush. After New Years seems too long. I would consider one now or rather before Nov 1 with a short update post new years.
Thank you for the feedback! I will, and I learned a lot about the school while I was there that actually does make it my top choice. I am also starting a new volunteer activity and I have been recently promoted at my job (I am doing a gap year). Maybe I will let them know that stuff ASAP along with my interest in the school.

You are on WL, likely with no movement until January, so timing for letter of interest (as opposed to intent) is interesting question. Will you possibly have any updates? Grades at end of term? Can you word it saying something along the lines "while I have applied to several schools you are my top choice" then express why specifically with specific evidence from your application and/or interview?

Too close to Thanksgiving seems could be lost in holiday rush. After New Years seems too long. I would consider one now or rather before Nov 1 with a short update post new years.

When do you recommend letters of intent?

1) I dont recommend them
2) they have little affect except perhaps slight when you are waitlisted at Top Choice but have acceptance elsewhere
3) you need to show from your original application, thru interview, and now, very concisely and specifically why you and this school is real fit. Else its just fluff.
4) so these are late in cycle letters March at earliest
To this add: they may have some minor positive effect at schools that are needy, or like to see people grovel.