How strict are the Letters of Recommendation requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvalliere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find it surprising that some schools like UHCO, NOVA, PCO require two to three LORs from professors! I went to a very large university and had a reclusive study style that made it difficult for me to develop a relationship with many professors. I have one LOR from a professor I had in a small lab, but I have so many O.D.s and extracurricular supervisors that could write some really amazing LORs. How strict are these schools with their requirements? Do you think I could have an exception made if I call them and explain my situation? I'm just afraid these letters from professors will hurt my application rather than help it when it comes to the schools who don't have requirements.

Any advice? Has anyone been given an interview/accepted even though they did not fulfill these requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, the website for NOVA says this for LOR requirements "One letter of recommendation from an individual such as academic instructor, professor, optometrist, other health professional, or employer."

But the Optomcas says a LOR from an O.D. , one from a professor, and one from another professor is required. Which do I follow?

Reactions: 1 user
hey did you ever figure out the NOVA LOR requirements? every time I call theres no answer and theres no information on their website!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem with NECO and SUNY. I contacted the schools and they are pretty strict. I had 3 different optometrist letters and an employer and one professor but certain schools are pretty strict about who they want your letters from unfortunately. I think your best bet would be to contact the school directly.

Honestly I'm the same way with meeting my professors. They all taught really big classes and I'd only ever met them once or twice but honestly it's their job. All of my references were from profs who probably didn't even know who I was. I even asked over email. I did kind of butter them up and tell them how how much I loved their class (as well as when I took it) when I emailed asking for the reference and they all said yes. I got interviews everywhere so they couldn't have been that bad! Make sure you send them your resume, transcript, and personal statement though so they can write you a more personalized letter!

Reactions: 1 user
I contacted NECO, and they said if you have been working for your employer for over 5 years that can count for one of the professors..never heard back from NOVA though

I was accepted to PCO and NOVA and I know that they both will allow a "composite letter". At my school (very large state school) we had a pre-health committee that would collect some reference letters from us, have us write essays, interview us and then write a "committee/composite letter". I submitted my composite letter, one professor letter, and two OD letters to all my schools and I was accepted everywhere! Check and see if your school does that, many large universities offer that!