SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How strict is AADSAS about the 1000 word limit on the personal statement?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jayjay, Oct 4, 2001.

1. jayjay

jayjay Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2001
    I just finished my personal statement but I realized it's over the 1000 word limit by about 20 words.
    I've heard that for med school, they're very strict and will cut off any words that go over. Does aadsas do the same thing or am I okay?

thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. c.ata

c.ata Junior Member

Jun 20, 2001
    california
    From what I recall from the on-line version of the application, the computer won't let you type past 1000 words. So in that case they are very strict on the 1000 word policy. I'm not to sure about the paper version, although the space that they give you for your essay doesn't seem like it would fit even 1000 words. Good luck on that process and don't lag in sending your application out! ;)

4. jayjay

jayjay Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2001
    thanks c.ata :)
    The thing is, I tried pasting my essay into the space and it fit. Just to experiment, I even typed in another paragraph..no problems. Is this strange?

5. c.ata

c.ata Junior Member

Jun 20, 2001
    california
    Kind of, because when I tried to do that half of my last paragraph was not copied. So off to the revising board I had gone. But if it works for you go ahead and take advantage of it. I don't think the committee sits there and counts the words. By the way, a 1000 words is a lot, how much do you have to say?

6. dragonfly9

dragonfly9 Frickin' Chicken 7+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2001
    greener pastures
    How many pages, say in 12 point times font, double spaced is 1000 words? I'd look at some of my old papers and see, but my computer adapter broke and my battery is dead :(

7. skim2

skim2 Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Mars
    hey guys...
    Actually, i wrote more than 1000 words, and it went through well electronically...
    I don't think you have to worry about going over few words..
    :cool:

8. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 1, 2000
    If there is a strict application to the 1000 word rule, I would not worry. Almost any essay in the 1000 word range is going to have plenty of filler (adjectives, adverbs, phrases etc)that can be easily eliminated upon review. In fact, most of you were likely taught in freshman English that simple and direct composition is often best.