how strict is Mt Sinai on letter requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prufrock0880

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mt Sinai asks for 3 research LORs, but I only have two long-term (10month and 2.5yr) research experiences. Before submitting, I called the admissions office and the woman I spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem. So I submitted, and I just got an email saying they need a third letter. Some previous posters have said Mt Sinai let them apply with two, and others have said Mt Sinai required all three letters. How can I get into the former catagory? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Call them again or e-mail them back. Tell them you were told you'd only need 2 letters in the past (if you know who told you that it would be especially helpful). I know you don't want to sound pushy, but you'll have to stand up for yourself on this unless anyone has a magic back door.

I had a similar problem. I was told I only needed 2 letters... but then I was contacted months later and asked for a new research LOR before they would decide to interview me. I was working in a new lab position, so I was able to provide it, but it was really annoying for them to change their story long after I thought I was complete. I would suggest calling back and telling them what the first woman said to you, and just seeing what kind of response you get. And make sure you write down the name of whoever you speak to.