cosmopolitan2015

2+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Hi! I am an IMG that has been working as a postdoc in a lab.

My PI(M.D./PhD) says he will help me in getting into residency. He is about to be the vice chair of the department. If a vice chair(of research, I could see that there are not only one vice chair, there are more than one!) writes you a strong LOR, how are the chances for me getting into residency?

My USMLE scores are both 240+ on step 1 and step2ck.

Any feedback? Thank you!!

Animalcules

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi! I am an IMG that has been working as a postdoc in a lab.

My PI(M.D./PhD) says he will help me in getting into residency. He is about to be the vice chair of the department. If a vice chair(of research, I could see that there are not only one vice chair, there are more than one!) writes you a strong LOR, how are the chances for me getting into residency?

My USMLE scores are both 240+ on step 1 and step2ck.

Any feedback? Thank you!!
As an IMG, a letter from your research mentor is useful, especially if you did a good amount of research as a postdoc. If this person is higher up on the totem pole, even better for you. The most important part is to have letters commenting on your clinical acumen. If your research mentor can write about your clinical performance as well, that would be ideal. The most important thing is that these people push for you. Your scores are fine, but your app will be screened out at most places unless you network or have your letter writers go to bat for you. You will have no problems getting a residency, but the big question is where. You will likely have the best chances at your current home institution.