MD How strong of an application have I built?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yhaatheth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should start by saying that I'm a Chinese and Pre-Med Major (White male) attending a well-known University

Cumulative GPA - 3.65
Science GPA - 3.5 (on the dot)
Major GPA - 3.85

Should admit I've made a B in every biology class and in A in every Chemistry/Physics/Math/English course. (I didn't like Biology until studying for the MCAT)

Mcat Score - 31 11 PS/10 VR/10 BS

I took the MCAT once

-Clinical volunteer activities
In a competitive volunteer program at my University - for 1.5 years 4 Hr/week. 150Hrs of Volunteer in General Medicine and Emergency Care (Room patients and take vitals)

No Physician Shadowing
No Medical Research
No Nonclinical Volunteering (Although I've lived in a cooperative living environment for 3 years)

Certified Nursing Assistant - working 16-24 Hours per week in a Nursing Home (Memory Care) for 1.5 Years (Have had CNA license for 4 Years) (Arguably the hardest work I've done/will do in my life)

Maintenance Coordinator of a Cooperative living environment (International Students) -4Hr/week for 2 Years (I possess a Master Key!) (Responsibilities include fulfilling maintenance requests in 10 apartments with 36 people, keeping supply room stocked, keep walls from falling down)

Competitive Gymnast at University - 15-20 Hr/Week 4 Years (Spend more time traveling during the Spring)

Studied Abroad in Beijing, China for 4 Months in an Intensive Language Program - Am Fluent in Mandarin (I wasn't allowed to speak English, listen to English music, or watch English movies during the entire duration. I was threatened with the possibility of being sent home) (Wasn't so much a vacation as it was feeling like a toddler)

I can't say that I have a typical application... I tried to have varied and well-rounded experiences throughout college. I'm applying as a Senior, so I'll continue to work at the Nursing home for the gap year :). Texas Resident applying to Texas Schools - Hoping to try my luck at getting in to the new Dell Medical School.

Dell Medical School > UT Southwestern > UTMB > UT Houston > Baylor Houston > UT San Antonio > A&M are my main choices for now.

I'm going to be a very early applicant come 2015 application season.
Can you get in some physician shadowing before you apply? A primary care doc would be your best bet. You can get in a lot of hours over a school break or build up the total slowly with a weekly experience if you prefer. About 50 total hours would be a good goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get some shadowing and non-clinical volunteering in, but other than that, your application looks good. Research experience would help, of course, but if you aren't interested in research then I understand why you didn't pursue those opportunities. You have some unique ECs that I could see being a real draw for adcoms (if they read your application and want to meet/chat with you, that's a great sign!), and your stats are pretty solid. Shadowing is especially important to add though, to show that you know what the day-to-day experiences of a physician are.

Good luck! I think things will work out for you next cycle!