How surgeons view epidural steroid injections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting through this mandatory worker's compensation certifying exam course and the ortho presenter dropped this tidbit:

"Epidural steroid injections don't change the natural course of the herniated disc, they only give temporary relief. I use the epidural steroid injection to show the patient how much better they will feel after their surgery."

I should send him all my engineer patients 🙄

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm sitting through this mandatory worker's compensation certifying exam course and the ortho presenter dropped this tidbit:

"Epidural steroid injections don't change the natural course of the herniated disc, they only give temporary relief. I use the epidural steroid injection to show the patient how much better they will feel after their surgery."

I should send him all my engineer patients 🙄
Except temporary can be a year or more and allow the patient to keep their OEM parts. I guess all medications used to treat chronic disease should be abandoned because they only provide 'temporary' relief of the problem. Let's throw in vaccinations too, since they often need boosters. Oh, and spine surgery too, because that's just as temporary as an epidural injection when you account for the new and truly unfixable problems that arise. Maybe we should abandon life all together, since it's only temporary. F'king idiot.

Reactions: 13 users
Probably 10x a week I'm referred pts from a surgeon with whiplash for CESI.

"Pt with neck pain refractory to PT after MVC - Cervical epidural."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless the patient is obese. Then they are told surgery won't help, they need an epidural steroid injection instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the patient is obese. Then they are told surgery won't help, they need an epidural steroid injection instead.
Agree. Or they have bad insurance or history of surgical infections.....then suddenly an epidural is just what they need!

Probably 10x a week I'm referred pts from a surgeon with whiplash for CESI.

"Pt with neck pain refractory to PT after MVC - Cervical epidural."
10x/week???
That is a lot of MVC patients and a ton of money after the case is settled.

10x/week???
That is a lot of MVC patients and a ton of money after the case is settled.
Mmm...I say MVC but you can swap that with falls or any other trauma resulting in axial neck pain without referral into the arm or scapula.

Let's call it axial neck pain - I get a lot of that...A LOT.

Edit - Maybe not 10 every week, but there are two spine surgeons in my group and they're not going to listen to me or read my notes.

Agree. Or they have bad insurance or history of surgical infections.....then suddenly an epidural is just what they need!
Or if they don't have the good insurance plans

Nevermind the number of patients that get better over time even without interventions. But surgery is definitely the answer. I’m always shocked when surgeons don’t tell patients they have a good chance of getting better even without doing anything. To the man with a hammer the whole world looks like a PLIF

Reactions: 2 users
However, surgeons are quick to refer their friends and spouses for ESI to avoid surgery:)

Reactions: 6 users