How Technologically advance your school is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iowagirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know about DMU but how about some other DO school? Do they give laptops, PDAs? What else they provide technologically? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

SOMA is pretty technologically advanced! In fact I havent seen a med school this into technology. Flat screen HDTV in every small group room, 4 in our large group/presentation/lecture room, 1 SIM man per 10 students, 1 Harvey man(real life heart and lung sounds). All the small group rooms have CCTV cameras, and microphones and they are all connected to a main control room where they record OSCEs and have interactive simulations with the SIM man. Its seems Big brotherish at first, but you get over it. We all have to get the same computers--IBM Lenovo X60 tablet. I personally like the high tech stuff!

Hey guys,

I know about DMU but how about some other DO school? Do they give laptops, PDAs? What else they provide technologically? Thanks in advance!

I think you actually pay for those items if they "give" it to you. I am sure it is in the tuition or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
At GA-PCOM, each student gets an abacus and a typewriter. There is also a black-and-white TV in the commons.

I think you actually pay for those items if they "give" it to you. I am sure it is in the tuition or something.

Our tuition is probably one of the cheapest for private DO schools, so to me it is free.

DCOM is the only school that takes advantage of the startrek technology, let's just say all other medical schools are trying to catch up to our superior technology. :)

I must admit that I havent visited all the schools but I liked how far PCOM has gone. They pretty much present all lectures including exam reviews on a live video feed.

So, if you dont feel like dressing up for a 8am class, you can watch the lecture in your pajamas sitting in your apartment. They also have a huge school so it is understandable that this would be more accommodating than smaller sized schools.

I must admit that I havent visited all the schools but I liked how far PCOM has gone. They pretty much present all lectures including exam reviews on a live video feed.

So, if you dont feel like dressing up for a 8am class, you can watch the lecture in your pajamas sitting in your apartment. They also have a huge school so it is understandable that this would be more accommodating than smaller sized schools.

Not to bust your bubble but PCOM does not have live video feeds of lectures. Now, we do record each lecture on MP3 and a student gets paid to scribe that lecture. All of these services are student run.

But you are right that you can basically stay home and listen to lecture...

SOMA is pretty technologically advanced! In fact I havent seen a med school this into technology. Flat screen HDTV in every small group room, 4 in our large group/presentation/lecture room, 1 SIM man per 10 students, 1 Harvey man(real life heart and lung sounds). All the small group rooms have CCTV cameras, and microphones and they are all connected to a main control room where they record OSCEs and have interactive simulations with the SIM man. Its seems Big brotherish at first, but you get over it. We all have to get the same computers--IBM Lenovo X60 tablet. I personally like the high tech stuff!

Yes, SOMA's marketing bragged about how cutting-edge its technology was. Trouble is, anything that's cutting edge ipso facto has not had most of the bugs worked out of it yet. We've yet to have a lecture in which some some toy did not misbehave.

NYCOM has just put in LCD's all over campus that advertise the school...to us, the already existing students. :confused:

They video record all the lectures, and you can watch them anytime/any speed you want. Cutting your lecture time in half rulez.:horns:

We have no video recording, are not allowed to tape record most of our lecturers, have no note service, and all lectures are mandatory (they check and do attendance quizzes)... As you can see, student convenience is top priority at LECOM-Erie...

While I wouldnt consider Western University extremely technologically advanced, everyone is required to have a laptop and later PDA's come rotation time. All of our lectures are video recorded. We should also be making the move to complete online examinations come next school year.

I haven't seen the PNWU's stuff yet, but apparently they will be using smartboards instead of whiteboards and chalkboards so they can transfer the notes to our laptops as the lectures are occuring. I think that's pretty cool, I don't know about much else though, except that the laptops are included in the tuition.

I'd say as tech goes UMDNJ-SOM is pretty good. I mean the school in and of itself isin't old. We have all the usual stuff, inclduing a pretty high tech OMT lab if your into that. Ss lectures go we have pretty close to live video feed. Essentially we have a video file that links an audio recording of the days lectures to the lecture's powerpoint file and plays it as a movie file so you know what slide he/she's talking about as you go. You still don't see the professor or blackboard, but for the over 99% of the time nothing is written there. If the professors use the mouse cursor to point to specific parts of the powerpoint slide, you see it in the video as well, so essentially it's an overly complex/fancy video recording of the teacher's computer screen that you probably could do with an old fasioned camera.