How things change... What Step1 used to be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know how many people know this, but I was giving a tour to my school's alumni today. And, just 30 years ago, medical students just took Step1 to pass it. It wasn't something they studied for; there were no Kaplan classes; it was just a pass/fail thing that they were prepared for by the time they took it by their regular curriculum.

How freaking crazy is that? In a matter of 30 years, Step1 has gone from an exam to test general preparedness for clinical training to, instead, a hyper-competitive, stress-inducing, financial conglomerate that decides what life trajectory is allowed to you.

I miss the old days on that front...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I believe medicine, in general, got more competitive over the years. This includes admission, MCAT, Steps, matching.. etc. I think that might be due to the increase in the number of students interested in applying to medicine. Simple supply-demand concept.

Reactions: 1 user
you need a 240 to be competitive in almost any field. This is 67th percentile score. But people match with lower scores as well. Most competitive specialties excluding derm showing immense interest and a research year give you a good shot . It is not all doom and gloom. I dont know what scores were required for competitive specialties back in the 80's .

View attachment 232947

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, but you're losing sight of what's really important here: no US medical student that graduated before the year 2005 ever had to take Step 2 CS/PE.

Reactions: 27 users
Yeah 30 years ago you just passed and applied to whatever field you wanted. And the mcat they had to take to get in?pffft!

med school applicants as a proportion of population (fewer total schools then too) peaked in early 1990s I believe. Students every generation like to delude themselves into thinking they are so much smarter and their tests were so much harder. In reality, no absolute scores matter. It's a distribution. If anything modern UFAP has streamedlined info along with firecracker and sketchy so that even dumber people than in the past could master it today.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who doesn't like fellating people to get ahead, I love the emphasis on standardized testing. I'll take 'what you know' over 'who you know' as the sorting mechanism anyday. In fact I chose medicine in no small part because it's the one field where you can sit your arse down in a chair and test take yourself into success. If you do away with USMLE as a sorting tool, what are you left with? A stupid popularity contest. Eff that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
As someone who doesn't like fellating people to get ahead, I love the emphasis on standardized testing. I'll take 'what you know' over 'who you know' as the sorting mechanism anyday. In fact I chose medicine in no small part because it's the one field where you can sit your arse down in a chair and test take yourself into success. If you do away with USMLE as a sorting tool, what are you left with? A stupid popularity contest. Eff that.

Well I have some bad news about M3/M4/Residency/Life... Don't think of it as a popularity contest; just try to develop charisma just like any other skill you learn.

Reactions: 10 users
The only thing that has really changed is how hard we study for the mcat and step. I have multiple family members who went through all of this stuff 30 years ago. Things have always been "competitive", but like others have said we now have amazing study tools/courses. In the old days you read textbooks, took handwritten notes, and maybe made some flashcards. Now, if you aren't streaming at 2.5x while doing 500000 anki cards you're already behind :bookworm:

Reactions: 1 users
The only thing that has really changed is how hard we study for the mcat and step. I have multiple family members who went through all of this stuff 30 years ago. Things have always been "competitive", but like others have said we now have amazing study tools/courses. In the old days you read textbooks, took handwritten notes, and maybe made some flashcards. Now, if you aren't streaming at 2.5x while doing 500000 anki cards you're already behind :bookworm:
Only 500,000 anki cards ? Do I look like I want to match family practice in North Dakota?

Reactions: 25 users
What was it from that single school study? 1700 flash cards for an extra point on step 1
500 uworld q's =1700 anki cards= 1 point. But you got to make them too.

Last edited:
If I never have to hear the phrase "Step 1" again in my life I will be happy. I swear, it seems like some people see that exam as their defining purpose in life and becoming a physician as only secondary to proving that they took Step 1. I am so glad that's behind me.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
500 uworld q's =1700 anki cards= 1 point. But you got to make them too.

Lmao, so all of U-World (~2400Q) is not even worth a full 5 points on Step 1. Yeah, that study must have been very well done

Reactions: 4 users
med school applicants as a proportion of population (fewer total schools then too) peaked in early 1990s I believe. Students every generation like to delude themselves into thinking they are so much smarter and their tests were so much harder. In reality, no absolute scores matter. It's a distribution. If anything modern UFAP has streamedlined info along with firecracker and sketchy so that even dumber people than in the past could master it today.

I think that the complexity of the questions probably increase with every year because the baseline test education increases. If someone 30 years ago had UFAP they would all hit 270s because the questions likely back then weren't as stacked and built around test taking skills.

Yes, distribution matters. But it's hard to create a distribution if there isn't a real variation of scores without at some point become asinine, ex. average is 99%, one guy scores a 95% = scores a 200. Better to keep the average low ex 55-65% as the USMLE does currently. and this is accomplished by creating harder questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Lmao, so all of U-World (~2400Q) is not even worth a full 5 points on Step 1. Yeah, that study must have been very well done

Right, I never fully understood the study. You cannot convert question amount to points. If you're studying the information behind the question and actively learning new information then the amount you're going to gain is going to far exceed 1 point.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...erformance/links/57c1afa608aeb95224d74494.pdf

Board style question ~ 470 per point. so if you are going through uworld x2= 10 point increase. The study has its problems but it is something.
I am assuming this includes NBME questions, kaplan , Rx. doing all of that plus uworld is probably good for 25-30 points from baseline.

This is probably retrival bias, but some of the 260+ scorers indicated doing 10k questions in total. on the step forum.

Last edited:
Doc I work with was telling me what the most stressful times of med school were. He graduated 30+ years ago. Seemed to emphasize first year and intern year, mainly for adjustment challenges. Told him that the end of second year seems to be stressful now because of Step 1. Perplexed, he told me he "didn't really study much for boards, or the MCAT" and was just worried about scoring high enough to pass.

Then described to him how Step 1 now basically determines what specialty you can go into (to a degree). He said he didn't think he could get admitted today. This guy got waitlisted at Harvard back in the day and is a big deal in clinical research, at least where I'm at. Somebody above who mentioned supply and demand nailed it. Medicine was always somewhat competitive, but in comparison today's standards are crazy.

Doc I work with was telling me what the most stressful times of med school were. He graduated 30+ years ago. Seemed to emphasize first year and intern year, mainly for adjustment challenges. Told him that the end of second year seems to be stressful now because of Step 1. Perplexed, he told me he "didn't really study much for boards, or the MCAT" and was just worried about scoring high enough to pass.

Then described to him how Step 1 now basically determines what specialty you can go into (to a degree). He said he didn't think he could get admitted today. This guy got waitlisted at Harvard back in the day and is a big deal in clinical research, at least where I'm at. Somebody above who mentioned supply and demand nailed it. Medicine was always somewhat competitive, but in comparison today's standards are crazy.
I agree... I had an attending who told me why I am wasting my time applying to DO schools with my 27 MCAT score :(. She got into DesMoines with 18 MCAT in 2001.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

People back then did whatever it took to get into medical school and make it through. They would do the same thing now and probably succeed just the same. I really, really don't think our generation is anything special. Probably quite the opposite.

People back then did whatever it took to get into medical school and make it through. They would do the same thing now and probably succeed just the same. I really, really don't think our generation is anything special. Probably quite the opposite.
I agree... I had an attending who told me why I am wasting my time apply to DO schools with my 27 MCAT score :(. She got into DeMoines with 18 MCAT in 2001.
It waxes and wanes. But we dont live in a special time.
upload_2018-4-29_21-11-13.png

If I never have to hear the phrase "Step 1" again in my life I will be happy. I swear, it seems like some people see that exam as their defining purpose in life and becoming a physician as only secondary to proving that they took Step 1. I am so glad that's behind me.

Was just thinking this too. There's one person in particular who this description matches completely, but I won't name names...

False. There's farrrrrrrrrrrrr more material to know today than ever before. And you're expected to know it all. By default that means you're spending more time now studying than anyone ever did before.

False. There's farrrrrrrrrrrrr more material to know today than ever before. And you're expected to know it all. By default that means you're spending more time now studying than anyone ever did before.
The competition level for admission to medical school is the same or neglible in difference. Just because there is more material doesnt mean the competition has increased or decreased. There was an orthopedic paper that oulined how competition over time has remained similar even for ortho.

The competition level for admission to medical school is the same or neglible in difference. Just because there is more material doesnt mean the competition has increased or decreased. There was an orthopedic paper that oulined how competition over time has remained similar even for ortho.
Competition sure. But I'm talking about overall difficulty which increases by default if you need to learn more material.

I seem to hear the phrases "step 1" and "step 2" pretty often in non-medical contexts. It's not as haunting as it was a year or two ago, but it still gives me the jeebies.

Example 1:
me: hey mom, how do you make that tasty chicken dish?
mom: ok, so step 1-
me: nevermind

Example 2:
me: hi I've been lost inside this building for 15 mins, how do I find this specific place?
person: sure! let's see, so first you go to the end of this hall and turn right. Then step 2 is gonna be-

Example 3:
furniture assembly instructions: step 1

Reactions: 23 users

But if you define competiveness strictly by #apps to #spots, you completely ignore the amount of work put in to be competitive.

Example position x: 120 applicants for 100 spots
Average applicant 95th percentile test scores, 30 papers published, almost everyone has a nobel peace prize, etc

Position y: 30000 applicants for 15000 spots
Average applicant has 3rd grade reading level and still eats paste

Which position is “harder” to get? I personally would get laughed out of the room at position x but may be average for position y

Reactions: 3 users
But if you define competiveness strictly by #apps to #spots, you completely ignore the amount of work put in to be competitive.

Example position x: 120 applicants for 100 spots
Average applicant 95th percentile test scores, 30 papers published, almost everyone has a nobel peace prize, etc

Position y: 30000 applicants for 15000 spots
Average applicant has 3rd grade reading level and still eats paste

Which position is “harder” to get? I personally would get laughed out of the room at position x but may be average for position y
Our level of performance may be related to the level of performance of our peers. But the percentiles are also based on test performance of our peers. Its not like the mcat distrbution has become less normal or that the gpa distribution has become less normal. Every generation thinks they are the pinacle of achievement, whereas if you take into account general trends there is reversion to the mean and a stable distribution. a 30 mcat in 1995 is roughly the same percentile as the 30 mcat in 2014. There was score creep, but there was score creep for the entire distribution.

even with things like IQ scores where the population scores increase every decade, the entire population scores shift rightward on the distribution. Its not like a handful of people get all the gains. where as the rest stay stable.

Our level of performance may be related to the level of performance of our peers. But the percentiles are also based on test performance of our peers. Its not like the mcat distrbution has become less normal or that the gpa distribution has become less normal. Every generation thinks they are the pinacle of achievement, whereas if you take into account general trends there is reversion to the mean and a stable distribution. a 30 mcat in 1995 is roughly the same percentile as the 30 mcat in 2014. There was score creep, but there was score creep for the entire distribution.

I agree scores should remain the same throughout generations of standardized test taking, because they are based off percentiles. Im not arguing that, but what i would argue is the knowledge base required for a 30 may not always be the same. If an entire cohort taking a test is more intelligent then the 50th percentile alligns to that cohorts level of intelligence.

Edit: but average accepted scores should fluctuate when there is changes in applicant:spot ratio

I have heard a lot about GPA inflation though, and if there was a discrepancy there that could be a potential explanation.

Im not here to argue that our generation is any better than any other generation, i think the whole generational bickering is stupid. Was just saying you cant base competitiveness strictly off of applicants:spots

View attachment 233000
We don't live in a special time in terms of the matriculant/applicant ratio but we do live in a time where the stats to get in are exceptionally high.
kB5ie4W.jpg

AAMC: FACTS: MCAT scores and GPAs for Applicants and Matriculants, 1992-2003
In 1996, the year in which the the applicant/matriculant ration was at its highest, the mean matriculant GPA was 3.56. And if you invoke grade inflation, well, the mean MCAT was 29.4 - and MCAT scores don't get inflated. What seems to have happened is that back then, the average applicant was of lower quality, so the higher applicant/matricuant ratio doesn't prove that getting into medical school was harder back then. Now, many would-be applicants without stellar qualifications don't bother to apply, knowing how difficult it is to be admitted.

We don't live in a special time in terms of the matriculant/applicant ratio but we do live in a time where the stats to get in are exceptionally high.
kB5ie4W.jpg

AAMC: FACTS: MCAT scores and GPAs for Applicants and Matriculants, 1992-2003
In 1996, the year in which the the applicant/matriculant ration was at its highest, the mean matriculant GPA was 3.56. And if you invoke grade inflation, well, the mean MCAT was 29.4 - and MCAT scores don't get inflated. What seems to have happened is that back then, the average applicant was of lower quality, so the higher applicant/matricuant ratio doesn't prove that getting into medical school was harder back then. Now, many would-be applicants without stellar qualifications don't bother to apply, knowing how difficult it is to be admitted.
MCAT scores did get inflated.

I seem to hear the phrases "step 1" and "step 2" pretty often in non-medical contexts. It's not as haunting as it was a year or two ago, but it still gives me the jeebies.

Example 1:
me: hey mom, how do you make that tasty chicken dish?
mom: ok, so step 1-

Example 2:
me: hi I've been lost inside this building for 15 mins, how do I find this specific place?
person: sure! let's see, so first you go to the end of this hall and turn right. Then step 2 is gonna be-

Example 3:
furniture assembly instructions: step 1

Just imagine what it is like for soapers who have to look at soap literally every day of their lives.

You know this how? It's a percentile based test. How do percentiles get inflated?
look at the medians. they went up. The push for the new mcat was partially successful in reseting that and set the median at 500 again. the distribution shifted rightward.

If you just look at the mean reporting from 2000

vs

Distributions also skewed.
with the final 2014 numbers looking like

Last edited:
I've long been an advocate for making Step 1 a true pass/fail test. I think it's use and importance have been a net negative for medical education as students have wisely shirked many of the curriculum elements designed to make them better doctors in order to focus on the things that will help them do well on what is currently a very important test. Make it strict pass/fail and all that goes away.

Ideally, all of the steps would be strict pass/fail since that is and was their purpose: assure a minimum level of competence in physicians before granting them a license to practice.

But wouldn't this make it hard to stratify applicants to residency?

It would eliminate the use of one stratification tool that arguably is terrible at doing so. Every study trying to correlate step scores with residency performance have shown it's a terrible test for doing so. Two scores must differ by 16 points to even be statistically significant! Yes, a 240 and 255 could represent identical knowledge and the difference attributed purely to scaling error. This is straight out of the NBME's own publications, yet people always seem surprised when I say it.

So how do programs stratify applicants? Who cares?! Frankly, I don't think the NBME/FSMB or the faculties of medical schools are responsible for figuring out how residency programs select applicants.

Why not let programs figure it out for themselves? Every specialty board already has its own exam material it uses to award board certification as well as test its residents at each year of training. Why not let them design their own aptitude tests if they feel it's necessary? Presumably, the sort of baseline knowledge you want in a future pediatrician is slightly different than what you want in a future OBGYN, or a future internist versus future surgeon. Our field has even been trialing something akin to how large companies hire, using a telephone behavioral question interview that is scored by a third party to help stratify applicants. This is a big pain in the butt for applicants but at least there's a large body of evidence in the business world suggesting it actually helps hire better people. It certainly has to be better than stratifying based on who better understood the electron transport chain 2-3 years ago. Couple this with a field-specific aptitude and knowledge test and now I can stratify my applicants in a much more meaningful way.

Truthfully, we would probably end up interviewing the same group of applicants even if we didn't have step 1 scores. Now THAT would make an interesting study! A little crossover design where you have the same faculty review prospective applicants both with and without their step scores and see if you still get the same group. My gut instinct tells me there would be a vast amount of overlap.

It blows my mind that the AAMC and LCME are not leaning heavily on the NBME to make this kind of change.

I've long been an advocate for making Step 1 a true pass/fail test. I think it's use and importance have been a net negative for medical education as students have wisely shirked many of the curriculum elements designed to make them better doctors in order to focus on the things that will help them do well on what is currently a very important test. Make it strict pass/fail and all that goes away.

Ideally, all of the steps would be strict pass/fail since that is and was their purpose: assure a minimum level of competence in physicians before granting them a license to practice.

But wouldn't this make it hard to stratify applicants to residency?

It would eliminate the use of one stratification tool that arguably is terrible at doing so. Every study trying to correlate step scores with residency performance have shown it's a terrible test for doing so. Two scores must differ by 16 points to even be statistically significant! Yes, a 240 and 255 could represent identical knowledge and the difference attributed purely to scaling error. This is straight out of the NBME's own publications, yet people always seem surprised when I say it.

So how do programs stratify applicants? Who cares?! Frankly, I don't think the NBME/FSMB or the faculties of medical schools are responsible for figuring out how residency programs select applicants.

Why not let programs figure it out for themselves? Every specialty board already has its own exam material it uses to award board certification as well as test its residents at each year of training. Why not let them design their own aptitude tests if they feel it's necessary? Presumably, the sort of baseline knowledge you want in a future pediatrician is slightly different than what you want in a future OBGYN, or a future internist versus future surgeon. Our field has even been trialing something akin to how large companies hire, using a telephone behavioral question interview that is scored by a third party to help stratify applicants. This is a big pain in the butt for applicants but at least there's a large body of evidence in the business world suggesting it actually helps hire better people. It certainly has to be better than stratifying based on who better understood the electron transport chain 2-3 years ago. Couple this with a field-specific aptitude and knowledge test and now I can stratify my applicants in a much more meaningful way.

Truthfully, we would probably end up interviewing the same group of applicants even if we didn't have step 1 scores. Now THAT would make an interesting study! A little crossover design where you have the same faculty review prospective applicants both with and without their step scores and see if you still get the same group. My gut instinct tells me there would be a vast amount of overlap.

It blows my mind that the AAMC and LCME are not leaning heavily on the NBME to make this kind of change.
This is an interesting perspective. I do think in a world without an objective number to stratify applicants as in step, and where the hypothetical specialty specific test does not go into play will lead to more reliance on school prestige and letters and EC fluff. and preclinical grades. Research access which is also basically stratified by school ranking would exacerbate this. You would also end up offloading the stress that is given to the step score to the specialty specific test , in addition to requiring people to take multiple additional standardized tests. People would just shift to stressing about the ortho or derm test.

I dont have the answer, but the problem is one that is age old in which there are limited resources( competitive specialties) and excess applicants.

This is an interesting perspective. I do think in a world without an objective number to stratify applicants as in step, and where the hypothetical specialty specific test does not go into play will lead to more reliance on school prestige and letters and EC fluff. and preclinical grades. Research access which is also basically stratified by school ranking would exacerbate this. You would also end up offloading the stress that is given to the step score to the specialty specific test , in addition to requiring people to take multiple additional standardized tests. People would just shift to stressing about the ortho or derm test.

I dont have the answer, but the problem is one that is age old in which there are limited resources( competitive specialties) and excess applicants.

Agreed the stressful test would just move to a different place, assuming those fields decided a multiple choice standardized test was the best method to help stratify applicants. I don't think stress itself is a bad thing, but I do think that the stress surrounding step exams - step one in particular - has also resulted in students blowing off everything in their early schooling that is not immediately relevant for that one exam. I can't really say I blame them since we've made this test score into such a big deal and they are intelligent and efficient people who are doing what it takes to reach their goals. When the singular test focus is impeding schools' ability to teach and train students effectively, I think we have to ask ourselves if this test is really worth it.

Specialty specific exams would be much less likely to have such a profound impact on students' participation in their curriculum. You wouldn't have the plethora of prep resources out there and students would be forced to get the best broad medical education possible precisely so they could do well on their derm exam or their ortho exam.

You make a very good point on the re-allocation of importance from step 1 to those other softer factors. I'm not sure that is such a bad thing actually. Someone's ability to lead, to do well in their classes, to do research and ECs while still doing well in school -- those tell me a lot more about someone's potential as a resident than their ability to memorize UFAP. In my field, I would argue we already place a much higher premium on letters and personal phone calls/texts than we do on step scores, though that's already after people have been screened and self selected out. Even so, if someone I know and trust tells me a student is a badass, that makes me much more excited about interviewing her than if she banged out a 275 on step 1.

It would definitely remove a powerful way for students at lower/mid tier schools to distinguish themselves and get interviews at prestigious training programs. I was one of these myself and I'm sure my step score went a long way in helping open doors for me, though I think I had a number of really unique and powerful things on my application that would have also stood out in the absence of a high step 1 score. This is making me more interested in doing that study and seeing if faculties would select the same interview group out of the same group of applicants if step scores were removed.

I have a rich relative who is paying for my medical school education. Her first husband was a medical student when they met, and she is continually riding my arse about how her husband did it, how successful he became as a specialist, and cant understand my relaying the amount of information overload we have as to Step 1 preparation.

There have been many times I wanted to blurt out, “that was in the 1960s!!! They didnt even know about DNA back then, who are you kidding? They had maybe 40 drugs on the market. Anatomy, biochemistry, microbiology, radiology, diagnostic tests, immunology.....please!!! Your husband didnt know jack compared to what we learn today!”

But I stay quiet considering she is paying for my schooling!