How thoroughly should I describe a research project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruinsfinalfour

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The research that I did during my undergraduate years was a biomedical engineering based one and it involved some complex engineering principles Furthermore, some of my posters/publications involved discussing even more complex components of our project....how much detail should I include in the experience description section of the activities/work section of the AMCAS? I was considering just describing the overview of the significance of the work and then just providing a link so they can read more about it...is that a fair way to go about doing this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

The research that I did during my undergraduate years was a biomedical engineering based one and it involved some complex engineering principles Furthermore, some of my posters/publications involved discussing even more complex components of our project....how much detail should I include in the experience description section of the activities/work section of the AMCAS? I was considering just describing the overview of the significance of the work and then just providing a link so they can read more about it...is that a fair way to go about doing this?

Thanks

Make it very complicated and esoteric so that the interviewer loses interest and asks something else. That's what I would do. On the application I would load the research section with a lot of engineering terms that no one understands. Why dumb things down for engineering-illiterate folks?

Engineering is the liberal arts of the 21st century. :thumbup:

Make it very complicated and esoteric so that the interviewer loses interest and asks something else. That's what I would do. On the application I would load the research section with a lot of engineering terms that no one understands. Why dumb things down for engineering-illiterate folks?

Engineering is the liberal arts of the 21st century. :thumbup:

Its hard to detect sarcasm over the internet so I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're being serious haha....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks

Not sure if I would go as far as to put a link as I doubt they would read it. I have a significant amount of research from undergrad and graduate, on my application I put a very brief explanation of my undergraduate and my graduate research projects.
for instance:
- undergraduate research assistant - Studied culturability of microorganisms from desert environments. Developed PCR and Gradient Gel protocols.
Poster Presentations: blah..blah blah..
Manuscripts Published: blah..blah..blah

- Graduate research project - ....

For poster and manuscripts, I simply put the reference. When I interviewed last year, one of the interviewers had only glanced over my application and read the titles of my publications and asked me about one of them, which he found interesting...since it was global warming related research and that stuff was big in the news at the time.

Its hard to detect sarcasm over the internet so I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're being serious haha....

I am serious. A lot of people out there in the world are clueless when it comes to engineering principles. Might as well take advantage of their ignorance. :smuggrin: