This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmingforlove21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean, on the surface, this doesn’t seem bad. Are they doing this during the workday? Or at your scheduled reviews? Because I can verify, I get flogged hard as a resident too.

Reactions: 1 user
A few suggestions:
1) change the way you perceive this feedback - instead of focusing on the judgmental tone of the feedback, accept that this how this preceptor communicates, and focus more on what you can do with the feedback (something you do control) rather than how it's delivered (something you dont control). There may be elements of hostility to the feedback, but unless your preceptor is being nefarious, their intentions in giving you feedback are probably rooted in wanting to help you. Try to focus on that as much as possible, rather than focusing on the abrasiveness of the feedback. It's ok to have boundaries, but unless your preceptor is being overtly hostile (calling you derogatory names, yelling at you, physically assaulting you), you will probably be better off adjusting your definition of "hostile learning environment".

2) build your relationship with this preceptor by thinking of ways you can be helpful to them - learn more about their challenges and objectives, and find ways you can make their job of precepting you easier. As you build a relationship with them, you may find it easier to give them feedback on how they can be a better preceptor. Assuming they want to do a good job as a preceptor, they will be more receptive to your feedback if it comes from a place of wanting to help them.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a preceptor on one rotation that came in the office yelling at me (the other person in the office got up and left because it made her uncomfortable) and went on to tell me similar things. Essentially I didn't realize I was supposed to prioritize a specific project over the others. The school eventually got involved in my case (so if it is too bad, or they start calling you names, I'd get your RPD involved, but again, my situation was at the point she was coming in yelling in front of other people and sending me emails that sounded like she was mocking me until I started CCing all the emails to my school). The advice I got was to make sure you ask clarifying questions on everything and make it known that your intentions are to succeed. So when given something from the preceptor, make sure you ask all the details, deadlines, expectations, ect. When given these types of feedback, trying asking for additional feedback, like ways you can improve. I had another preceptor constantly tell me she didn't know why I couldn't work up patients faster (this was my first clinical rotation at that), but when I started to communicate more I found out she had the same issue when she started residency and she shared ways she got faster, she also looked at what I was doing and gave feedback on what was too much and what needed expanding.

Basically: communication failures end up as a huge problem, just work to communicate more and try to get more constructive feedback by asking questions in the beginning and follow up questions when you get this sort of feedback.