Apr 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi All --

I have an upcoming MD interview and I'm wondering -- if asked about my MCAT, what should I say?

Context: I received 27-29 on my first MCAT, then received 29-31 on my second MCAT -- I know, marginal gains and plus my verbal score stayed low (<9)

I feel like it would be awkward if they ask me -- what did you do to improve you score -- and i'll go through how I reviewed a second time with all these new resources etc, but then we both know I only scored a couple of points higher and my verbal stayed the same.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? I feel that my MCAT is the only glaring hole on my app. If I stress how much I did to review it the second time to no avail, won't the interviewers just think I'm stupid lol??

claduva94

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
If they extend an interview they think you are academically capable. So in that case the score won't be a problem. The key is to address it with a level head and not get defensive.

OP
O
Apr 29, 2015
Status
@claduva94 ok, thanks! Sounds like I should just say what I did to prepare for the second take and not address the actual change (or lack of change) in my score.

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I second what claduva94 said

And keep in mind, some schools do not provide interviewers with the stats of the students they interview, so the interviewer may not be aware of your score in the first place.

If they ask, be honest and answer it simply while avoiding excuses.

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Hi All --

I have an upcoming MD interview and I'm wondering -- if asked about my MCAT, what should I say?

Context: I received 27-29 on my first MCAT, then received 29-31 on my second MCAT -- I know, marginal gains and plus my verbal score stayed low (<9)

I feel like it would be awkward if they ask me -- what did you do to improve you score -- and i'll go through how I reviewed a second time with all these new resources etc, but then we both know I only scored a couple of points higher and my verbal stayed the same.

Has anyone else encountered this situation? I feel that my MCAT is the only glaring hole on my app. If I stress how much I did to review it the second time to no avail, won't the interviewers just think I'm stupid lol??
Don't bring it up. They are there to interview you - the parts of you that numbers can't describe. If you made it to the interview - clearly they think your MCAT is acceptable.

I second what claduva94 said

And keep in mind, some schools do not provide interviewers with the stats of the students they interview, so the interviewer may not be aware of your score in the first place.

If they ask, be honest and answer it simply while avoiding excuses.
Not true - my interviewers came in with my full application. One of them highlighted my essay and research hours and then demanded I show proof of my publication - which I brought. Another interviewer came and and threw a book across the table... the book in which I grabbed my quote from in my personal statement.

OP - I have a 6 for VR. It never came up, so I never explained myself.

THe school printed my AMCAS application all weird so the dates didn't line up, some sentences got cut off and stuff and they questioned me about it - I said I probably made an error - turned out it was the formatting. Luckily I brought copies of my application and chased the interviewers down and gave my version so they didn't think I was a total moron.

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not true - my interviewers came in with my full application.
Hence the word SOME in my post. Unless you feel your couple experiences = every single interview

OP
O
Apr 29, 2015
Status
Haha, thanks everyone.

So i found out that my interviewer will know my application very well -- and that i should be prepared to discuss what i changed during my retake. Should I just talk about what I did and not really address the fact that my score didn't improve that much?

OP
O
Apr 29, 2015
Status
bump.... okay i actually think I may get asked about my weak mcat (especially verbal score). IF I do (i recognize that I may not be asked), how would i even begin to answer this question?

"well... I'm not very good at standardized tests/verbal..."?! I'm not sure how to twist this into a positive? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bump.... okay i actually think I may get asked about my weak mcat (especially verbal score). IF I do (i recognize that I may not be asked), how would i even begin to answer this question?

"well... I'm not very good at standardized tests/verbal..."?! I'm not sure how to twist this into a positive? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Address the issue - I had a low MCAT/I struggle with standardized tests/whatever
Point to a strength academically - The concern with a low MCAT is that you are not academically inclined enough to survive medical school. If you have a high GPA, this is great. If not, you may have to get creative. You aren't going to be able to twist it to a positive, so don't try to. What you can do is point out that you are academically gifted in some way

OP
O
Apr 29, 2015
Status
Address the issue - I had a low MCAT/I struggle with standardized tests/whatever
Point to a strength academically - The concern with a low MCAT is that you are not academically inclined enough to survive medical school. If you have a high GPA, this is great. If not, you may have to get creative. You aren't going to be able to twist it to a positive, so don't try to. What you can do is point out that you are academically gifted in some way
Ok, so say - "My score may be a concern, but I'm confident I can tackle a med school curriculum given my strong undergraduate GPA" ..something like that?

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok, so say - "My score may be a concern, but I'm confident I can tackle a med school curriculum given my strong undergraduate GPA" ..something like that?
Yeah I think that's the best you can do.

Reactions: Oranges2

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Stupid? No.
English language difficulties? Yes.
Test taking deficits? Maybe.

OP
O
Apr 29, 2015
Status
Stupid? No.
English language difficulties? Yes.
Test taking deficits? Maybe.
Haha, thanks @Goro.

I do come from a non-English speaking family (immigrant myself, technically), but I'm not sure if mentioning this would come off as defensive?

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Haha, thanks @Goro.

I do come from a non-English speaking family (immigrant myself, technically), but I'm not sure if mentioning this would come off as defensive?
I didn't bother reading all of the posts (sorry) - but how is your other areas?

If you have above average (of the accepted students) in PS and BS - I don't think you should bring it up at all.

If your interviewers bring it up - just say you are not a native english speaker and english is your weakness but your other scores speak volumes about your abilities. Honestly, as long as you can understand lectures and read at a moderate pace - no one cares if you can read some article about bonapart and his contribution to ... I don't even know.

OP
O
Apr 29, 2015
Status
I didn't bother reading all of the posts (sorry) - but how is your other areas?

If you have above average (of the accepted students) in PS and BS - I don't think you should bring it up at all.

If your interviewers bring it up - just say you are not a native english speaker and english is your weakness but your other scores speak volumes about your abilities. Honestly, as long as you can understand lectures and read at a moderate pace - no one cares if you can read some article about bonapart and his contribution to ... I don't even know.
Thanks for your response - PS and BS are ok (fall within lower range of school, but acceptable IMO) but I think my perpetually low V will raise eyebrows. It sounds like if really grilled on this single score, I will just attribute it to not growing up in a strong-english speaking environment without coming off as too defensive.