How to Answer "Tell Me About Yourself"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbarnett2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is easily one of the most popular interview questions and usually the most difficult questions to answer for a lot of different reasons:
1) It is one of the first question and you are nervous
2) It is extremely open-ended
3) It forces you to talk about yourself which is awkward

I would say that when you hear a lot of people answer this question they start getting into why they like dentistry. If you get anything out of this post, I would hope that you understand that this is not a good idea. Especially because, the classic next question is "why dentistry?" And if you just answered that, then what?

I know how hard I worked to get a dental school interview and the idea of it all is terrifying. But, do not allow that to make you forget who you are. My best piece of advice for this question is to pretend you are on a date with the interviewer. I understand how informal this sounds but think about how you would answer this question under that context. I guarantee that you would actually answer the question.

To give you an idea this was sort of how I answered it:
"My name is Jordan Barnett and I am 23 years old. I am originally from Fresno, CA and live with my parents, little brother, grandmother, and our weiner dog Brady. I went to CSU Fresno and graduated in May 2016 with a degree in Chemistry and a minor in mathematics. I have a girlfriend named Susie and we met at school where I worked as a math tutor. Susie is a Civil Engineer and currently works for a small traffic engineering firm as an Engineer I/II. Her and her family speak Spanish and they have been introducing me to their culture, teaching me Spanish, and a lot of really good food. Like really good food...
As I mentioned, I worked at Fresno State as a math tutor and held that position for 5 semesters. One of my students asked me to tutor her privately after the first semester and I eventually started my own private tutoring business from that called CLIMe.
I enjoy exercising, listening to music (I am actually learning how to DJ on a small digital turntable that I bought), and spending time with my family and friends.
So basically, I am a 23 year-old college graduate from Fresno State that enjoys a variety of interests and friends and family."

While at first it may seen like the most difficult question to answer, it really can be the easiest. I know that you want to sound smart on your interview but keep in mind that if the admissions committee invited you for an interview, they already think that you are smart enough to go to their school. The interview is just to see if they actually like spending time with you. You can do it!

As always, feel free to message me if you have any questions. Thank you! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 users
I have an upcoming interview and afraid I am not interviewing well, lack of confidence would be the biggest problem. Any advice?

I have an upcoming interview and afraid I am not interviewing well, lack of confidence would be the biggest problem. Any advice?
Emphasize some important points of your application but try to demonstrate what type of person you are outside of that. Give them more insight on your personality and other unique traits lol. Honestly, they just want to make sure you're not an asocial freak or some kind of psychopath (ok maybe not that extreme). Confidence is needed but you don't want to make it sound like you deserve to rule a kingdom or something either x D. Just be friendly and accentuate the strengths they saw on your application; there's a reason you got the interview in the first place.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This was a great post. Thanks for posting this. I have my interview in a month so reading stuff like this helps relaxes you a little more

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This was a great post. Thanks for posting this. I have my interview in a month so reading stuff like this helps relaxes you a little more

How have you been doing?! Haven't seen you in forever dude! How did your DAT retake go and where you interviewing?

Reactions: 1 user
What's up man! Yeah I'll message you the details bro! It's been a very rocky journey for me. I going to take the DAT again to be honest since it was below a 20 and a I got a 16 in RC, but I guess my scores are good enough to land an interview. I'll message u more with details!