How to answer this secondary essay prompt from Wayne State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The prompt is: If you could tell the admissions committee one thing unique about yourself that isn’t medically related, what would it be? (1000 characters)

At first, I went with describing a unique interest of mine (astronomy, hosting sky-watching parties with my telescope, etc). The more I think about it though, I am considering using the space to describe my experience working in Detroit and my personal/family connection to the city in a more of a "why us?" response. What do you all think is the better way to go about answering this question?

Members don't see this ad.

Are either of these (your hobby and your work experience) in the W& A section If one or the other is not already on the application, go with that. If the committee would already know of your ties to Detroit based on other information in your application, I think that the astronomy angle is more interesting and something new about yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Are either of these (your hobby and your work experience) in the W& A section If one or the other is not already on the application, go with that. If the committee would already know of your ties to Detroit based on other information in your application, I think that the astronomy angle is more interesting and something new about yourself.
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't touched on either of these experiences in my primary, but my work experience, in general, is a pretty strong theme already. I think I will stick with the astronomy response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Astronomy is way cooler :)

Reactions: 1 users
What if it something about you that is not necessarily an "accomplishment" I was going to go with "I am a triplet with 3 moms" (have mom that raised me, egg donor, birth mother, IVF in 1998 was sketchy so all 3 embryos took instead of just 1." Obviously this isn't something that I myself worked towards, but it has definitely provided an interesting dynamic growing up.

The prompt is: If you could tell the admissions committee one thing unique about yourself that isn’t medically related, what would it be? (1000 characters)

At first, I went with describing a unique interest of mine (astronomy, hosting sky-watching parties with my telescope, etc). The more I think about it though, I am considering using the space to describe my experience working in Detroit and my personal/family connection to the city in a more of a "why us?" response. What do you all think is the better way to go about answering this question?
The bolded telegraphs that you don't understand the question, and that's not good.

Just answer the question. Introspection is a required trait for doctors.