How to apply early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisphorin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am kinda new and confused to this whole application process. I have a few questions. First of all, when does the application first come out what do you need to complete before apply? I have heard things like LOR, AMCAS grade confirmation..etc. How long does those thing takes to be done and ready? Second, when do you usually get your secondary application and does submitting secondaries early help your application?

Members don't see this ad.

LOR = letters of recommendation. You ask faculty members who have taught you in school to write them on your behalf. Some people also ask others (employers, supervisors) to write them, too.

AMCAS: American Medical Colleges Application Service (I think I've guessed that one correctly) = this is also called the primary application. Most US allopathic medical schools* accept this as a preliminary application and then ask you to complete a "secondary application" with additional information of particular interst to that school.

grade confirmation: on the AMCAS, you list the courses taken, grades earned, etc. You also have your transcripts send to AMCAS. Worker bees there compare what you entered on your AMCAS against the transcript. This is called "verification".

Secondaries are sent to you after you submit the primary. Some schools "screen" (only send secondaries to strong candidates) , others expect candidates to self-assess and complete the secondary if they believe themselves to be strong applicants.

Being complete early might improve your chances of getting an interview invitation.

Most schools begin classes in August with some beginning in July or September. AMCAS begins accepting application submissions in June, about 13-15 months before classes begin. Submitting in June is early, July is OK.

*The schools in Texas have their own system.

Last edited:
The application for entrance into the next year's class (i.e. entering class of 2010) opens in May of the previous year (i.e. May 2009). The application is open for about a month before you can submit it for verification. Verification can take anywhere from a couple hours (on the first day) to several weeks (later in the season). All your transcripts have to be on file before they will begin to verify you.

The first batch of primaries are sent to schools at the end of June (June 24th this year). Some secondaries will come immediately after that, others will trickle in throughout July and August. The first interview invites are generally sent out at the end of July and August. A few schools interview in August, but most start their interviews in September or October.

The first day you can officially be accepted, unless you apply Early Decision Program (in which you can only apply to one school), is October 15th. Note that many schools have application deadlines after this date, which is why it's so important to get your application in early.

Members don't see this ad :)
so the earliest time you can send your application to a med school is june 24th? and grade verification and LOR have to be done and ready to go by that time? when is the earliest time you can start sending your transcript and LOR for AMCAS to verify?

Thanks for your explanations :)

You begin completing the primary application in May (or later, if you please) and you ask to have your transcripts sent to AMCAS after your Spring grades are posted (you could submit without Spring grades but it isn't a good idea if you are applying as a junior). You submit the AMCAS primary to AAMC on or about June 1 and it takes some time to verify your application. The first "data dump" of applications to the medical schools specified by each applicant takes place in late June (June 24 this year). This data dump is done by AAMC, the applicant doesn't do anything but submit the application for verification earlier in the month.

that really clarified a lot of my confusions. thanks :)

You begin completing the primary application in May (or later, if you please) and you ask to have your transcripts sent to AMCAS after your Spring grades are posted (you could submit without Spring grades but it isn't a good idea if you are applying as a junior). You submit the AMCAS primary to AAMC on or about June 1 and it takes some time to verify your application. The first "data dump" of applications to the medical schools specified by each applicant takes place in late June (June 24 this year). This data dump is done by AAMC, the applicant doesn't do anything but submit the application for verification earlier in the month.

so once we know our spring grades,we can submit our apps and then send the transcript? or do they have to receive the transcript before we submit?

also, if I don't get my grades till June 14th, and then send my transcript, would I be late in the process? (I'm not applying this year yet though :) )

so once we know our spring grades,we can submit our apps and then send the transcript? or do they have to receive the transcript before we submit?

also, if I don't get my grades till June 14th, and then send my transcript, would I be late in the process? (I'm not applying this year yet though :) )

I'm not exactly sure but if you submit as soon as you get those June grades you should be fine.

Until they get the tranny, nothing will happen as far as verification of the app, so if you need a little more time polishing the app, you have it...

I will be applying next year, but if I understand things correctly, one can still submit the primary even if the transcript isn't available, even though nothing will happen until the transcript is received by AMCAS, right?

You won't be late at all in the process if you wait for your spring transcripts; you'll still be very early. Only on SDN would June 14th be late. Submit early, but really take your time to make sure you have the app all put together and written strongly. Don't submit on June 2nd (or whatever it will be in other years) just so you can submit on the first day if you're grades are not ready or your personal statement is rubbish.

What if send on JULY 5th, is that early? Should I try to send everything by June 24th? Im not trying to rush or anything, but if it is imperative...then I most certainly will do so.

umm, nobody is going to spoon feed this info to you.

Do some searches, look on the active threads RE AMCAS, and the answers you seek have been answered repeatedly.

So I'm a bit confused about verification on the amcas app.

Let's say my transcripts have been received, but i'm not done my essay yet, essentially..i cannot submit my application for transcript verification because i haven't done my essay? it seems sort of silly to me that i can't make changes to my essay after my send my amcas in for verification.

So I'm a bit confused about verification on the amcas app.

Let's say my transcripts have been received, but i'm not done my essay yet, essentially..i cannot submit my application for transcript verification because i haven't done my essay? it seems sort of silly to me that i can't make changes to my essay after my send my amcas in for verification.

I am confused as to how you are confused...when you complete your app, you submit it. The essay, by which I assume you mean the personal statement, is part of the app. If you have actually signed into AMCAS and are doing an app, it is plainly obvious that all the various sections of AMCAS have to be completed prior to submission.

Sorry, I know this has been brought up many times....

I took AP BIO and AP CALC and AP LATIN

--> For AP Bio and AP Calc--I retook those classes
a.) should I put 0.000 credits for these or 3.000 credits?
b.) Should I check "exempt" or should i check "Advanced Placement"

---> For AP LATIN,
a.) I used these credits, so I should probably type 3.000 credits?
b.) Should I check "Advanced Placement"

Sorry, I know this has been brought up many times....

I took AP BIO and AP CALC and AP LATIN

--> For AP Bio and AP Calc--I retook those classes
a.) should I put 0.000 credits for these or 3.000 credits?
b.) Should I check "exempt" or should i check "Advanced Placement"

---> For AP LATIN,
a.) I used these credits, so I should probably type 3.000 credits?
b.) Should I check "Advanced Placement"

List it exactly as it appears on your tranny.

Do not edit or add anything.