How to apply to multiple branches for HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoku2189

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so this whole HPSP application process has been extremely stressful to say the least. Just getting through my physical has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever gone through in my life. I checked I had asthma on my pre-medical screening form without any warning AT ALL from my recruiter that by doing so, there was a high chance I would be disqualified and not even have a chance of getting a scholarship...

Anyways, just by how my recruiter has been, I feel he may not be the most diligent person I've ever come across and he just seems to not want to expend any more effort than he thinks he needs to.

I told him about a few months ago that in order to better my chances of receiving an HPSP scholarship, I was interested in applying to multiple branches. However, he told me that "they" do not allow such a thing because it costs a lot of time and money on the Navy's part (taking time out of an O-6's day for interviews, etc.) for "them" to help me apply. I know this is not true because I spoke to another recruiter (who is OK with my applying to more than 1 branch) and she has told me that there is no such rule....All along he told me not to worry and reassured me that I would get a slot for HPSP. However, according to several recruiters I've talked to so far, all scholarships for all branches are gone at this point... Now, it's too late to apply to any other branch (which he told me I could do AFTER I didn't get a Navy HPSP)

I just think it's ridiculous that my recruiters (my Army recruiter I spoke to also said the same) are not allowing me to apply - especially since it's affecting my future :(. Just like for dental school, you can't expect to get in by applying to just ONE school...

Anyways, for any of you guys who have been lucky enough to apply to more than one branch, how were you guys able to do so? What did you guys say to convince your recruiters to help you apply? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys, so this whole HPSP application process has been extremely stressful to say the least. Just getting through my physical has been one of the most frustrating things I've ever gone through in my life. I checked I had asthma on my pre-medical screening form without any warning AT ALL from my recruiter that by doing so, there was a high chance I would be disqualified and not even have a chance of getting a scholarship...

Anyways, just by how my recruiter has been, I feel he may not be the most diligent person I've ever come across and he just seems to not want to expend any more effort than he thinks he needs to.

I told him about a few months ago that in order to better my chances of receiving an HPSP scholarship, I was interested in applying to multiple branches. However, he told me that "they" do not allow such a thing because it costs a lot of time and money on the Navy's part (taking time out of an O-6's day for interviews, etc.) for "them" to help me apply. I know this is not true because I spoke to another recruiter (who is OK with my applying to more than 1 branch) and she has told me that there is no such rule....All along he told me not to worry and reassured me that I would get a slot for HPSP. However, according to several recruiters I've talked to so far, all scholarships for all branches are gone at this point... Now, it's too late to apply to any other branch (which he told me I could do AFTER I didn't get a Navy HPSP)

I just think it's ridiculous that my recruiters (my Army recruiter I spoke to also said the same) are not allowing me to apply - especially since it's affecting my future :(. Just like for dental school, you can't expect to get in by applying to just ONE school...

Anyways, for any of you guys who have been lucky enough to apply to more than one branch, how were you guys able to do so? What did you guys say to convince your recruiters to help you apply? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks :(
There's no trick to applying with multiple branches - you just have to talk to the recruiters and get them to do it. Only medical health care recruiters can help you and they are not as plentiful as other recuriters. At this point it is very late in the game, and your main chance of getting the scholarship will be as an alternate.

Think of it from their perspective. You want them to expend a lot of time and energy on you (I have heard some recruiters say up to 14 hours a packet), but they then have only a 50/50 chance that after all their work you will go through with it if there were scholarships available? That combined with the fact that you are now competing with all the other individuals that will be alternates? There is no motivation for them to want to go above and beyond and push things through. Technically should they still do it because it's their job...yes. If you were in their situation would you be dragging your feet or complaining...I would assume like anyone else you would be.

OP - that is just the way they are. They don't want to expend any wasted effort.

When I was 18 I was visiting the AF to take my practice ASVAB test; well, they were out to lunch so I wondered next door into the Navy office. They were setting up a practice ASVAB for me till I mentioned that I wanted to be a PJ. Once they figured that out they told me to leave and not waste their time. With respect to recruiting they're NOT all on the same team.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation. Quick question can I use my physical for 2 different branches or do I need to physical twice once under each branch I am applying to? I have a physical for one branch and they keep saying I MUST switch it over and MEPS will not allow me to physical twice. I want to have two seperate physicals and packets without any overlap, if possible.

I had my recruiter send me my digital copy of my MEPS documents and was able to use it for both the AF application as well as the Army.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

I had my recruiter send me my digital copy of my MEPS documents and was able to use it for both the AF application as well as the Army.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

I did the same thing and applied for both army and AF

Nice! thanks! So they should just be able to shoot the digitel meps stuff over via email with no problems? From there I apply to AF just as I have done with Army thus far? recs, DAT scores ect.

Correct, it'll be two completely different applications (mainly the questionnaire) but essentially all the same info. You'll just have to attach everything your recruiters (with an s) ask you to send them.

I would recommend staying organized as much as possible at this point and creating separate folders for each branch just so you can keep track of what you sent to whom (I had one recruiter say I hadn't sent him something which I indeed had already done 3 times over...).
By the time everything was said and done I had countless different documents.
The Captain that commissioned me went one step further and recommended I sort everything by document file name. Awesome advice.

Keep in mind, you don't have a chance for a 4-year AF because they have all been given out. A numbered alternate list also stands between you and the scholarship. If you don't get Army, try again in a couple of months for a 3-year.