How to approach a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rekhamadhuri

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
plz tell me how to approach a dentist asking for volunteering as an observer in their clinic. I approached a clinic asking for an appointment with the dentist but the receptionist never scheduled it so far. Any inputs will be appreciated about what to say to a receptionist & the dentist.
Thanks in advance
Rekha

Members don't see this ad.

:) hey rekha..
keep trying with the dentist. do not keep waiting for the secretary to make an appointment for you. maybe get there at the practice early in the morning or late int he evening when they are opening and closing respectively, and have a word with the dentist. there are a lot of times that these offices are very busy and forget about passing on a message regarding volunteers, so dont keep waiting.
keep trying..
hope the above helps..
regards...

Send him a letter explaining what you want to do. But I could think of some reasons why dentists could be reluctant in granting your request. If something happens to you in the clinic, like get stuck with a needle, you can't be covered under workman's comp. There are other issues too. Maybe the dentist won't be comfortable working with some stranger watching. Or maybe the operatories are small and cannot accommodate the dentist, the assistant, the patient, the equipment and YOU. Best thing maybe is to apply for an assistant position if it is open. You can observe and get paid at the same time. One more thing...I hope you pick a dentist that puts out only quality work! You don't want to learn from someone who sees a mass of patients a day. Well, maybe if you want to learn shortcuts you can do that.

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

Members don't see this ad :)
hi calalily & ivorinedentist,
thanks...

Rekha

P.S. rekha:

There is also this thing called Health Information Privacy Protection law. Patients do not appreciate a non staff member or an observer prying over their records or looking into their mouths. The law protects them from that, among other things. Just a thought.

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"