How to approach a doctor for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quantum Mecha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for doctors to shadow, so I went to the AOA's DO directory, as well as one of the mentor search sites (http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/mentor_search.htm, not iLearn)

I found a doctor I would like to shadow in the DO directory, how would one go about asking them (since they aren't on result list from the mentor site)?

Does one simply say "Hey my name is [name], I am very interested in [physician's specialty], I was wondering if I could shadow you to learn more about the field."

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a good plan. If they're a DO, and you're interested in going the DO route, make sure you mention that. If they're listed on the AOA mentor site I'd think they'd be more willing to help. BTW if you're interested in getting a rec letter out of the experience, it might be good to mention that when you first contact them. They've been through the process you're going through, so they should understand.

EDIT: From you're post history, it looks like you're from the Chicagoland area. The best DO school in the nation just so happens to be in Downers Grove, good luck!

Last edited:
I am looking for doctors to shadow, so I went to the AOA's DO directory, as well as one of the mentor search sites (http://www.osteopathic.org/YOM/mentor_search.htm, not iLearn)

I found a doctor I would like to shadow in the DO directory, how would one go about asking them (since they aren't on result list from the mentor site)?

Does one simply say "Hey my name is [name], I am very interested in [physician's specialty], I was wondering if I could shadow you to learn more about the field."

Thanks!!!!

Honestly that sounds about right. Another thing you can do is email a local med school (whether you want to go there or not, MD or DO) and ask for a list of alumni. I live in the same city as OSU-COM and got a great list from them and the just emailed a ton of docs on the list. You'll prob have to contact many to find one who will let you shadow and fits your sched. Just call/email/send letters and dont be shy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another way around (That I've found particularly useful) is to try volunteering at a community health center of some kind and use that to meet doctors. Here in Salt Lake City, I've been volunteering at the Homeless Clinic for a while now as a Medical Assistant (I have my EMT-I so I can do the work) I've developed relationships with the volunteer doctors, I shadow them all regularly when they are at the clinic, and most have invited me to their private clinics as well without my asking. I must have well over 200 hours of shadowing at this point, and 3 or 4 great letters (All allopaths though, unfortunately).

I've found Community Health Centers to be a great opportunity to get a lot of my pre-med experience in, and the idea and purpose of community health centers to treat the medically underserved and uninsured really excites me and makes me excited to go into primary care via the DO route.

Visit this site to find a CHC near you: http://www.nachc.org/

SLC

Check your local hospital, if it is a teaching institution, you should be able to find a list of residents. Look to see where they graduated from, and if they are MD or DO. Be creative and find a way to get your foot in the door. I work at a hospital, so it was not so difficult, but I met my DO LOR writer through an MD colleague. Volunteering there is also a good way to meet people, and improve your application. The phone book is also just as good a place to start.

Bellak is right though, calling a med school and asking for information is great. They won't give YOU contact info on their grads, but they will pass on your name and email address. Most of the residents are far too busy to actually respond, but they may if you are persistent.