How to approach ACS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CommyO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So finals are coming up and I'm in the shoes of many who want to get a decent grade in their organic chemistry class. So far, I've been working through Bruice-Ochem 8th edition with the class pace, and we're on E1/E2/SN1/SN2 and it's pretty crazy right now to say nonetheless.
My question is since finals are just around the corner, what is the best you've found to tackle the ACS organic chemistry I exam? My exam will ONLY be the first half of ochem. I'm considering buying the ACS study guide but I'm not sure it'll be worth 30 dollars or whatever it costs. Have you guys had success with it?
Also my professor is having a sort of mini-final with the ACS the lecture before the final. No curve on ACS even though class usually bombs it hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The ACS study guide is a good resource and I'm sure you can find some free third-party sources that are based on that study guide online as well - the organic exam is one that is commonly taken. Review the topics in the outline and make sure you understand them.

Reactions: 1 user
The ACS study guide is a good resource and I'm sure you can find some free third-party sources that are based on that study guide online as well - the organic exam is one that is commonly taken. Review the topics in the outline and make sure you understand them.
Cool thanks. I figured the ACS guide would just be an outline to identify weak areas

Members don't see this ad :)
I never took the ACS test but I did well in Orgo 1+2 and have about 2 years of pure orgo research so here is my OP

Memorize less, Imagine more and try to think through your reactions (Especially Sn2, SN1, E1, E2 etc)
Fortify the Basics of orgo 1 (Sterochem, kinetic vs thermodynamic theory, structures, nomenclature, etc.) If you're foundations are weak, the structure will not hold...
Other than that, just practice...

Good Luck

The Orgo ACS book is essential. Know how to do every practice problem cold. Clutch Prep has video solutions for every question in the book (not free). Fill in any gaps of knowledge.